Windows 10 and Mx00 EMP installs

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Windows 10 and Mx00 EMP installs

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Oct 22, 2018 4:17 pm

Hi all,

It appears that a recent update to Windows 10 has broken the installer for the Mx00 EMP, to get around this issue, use the following process.

the M84 EMP is not presently affected by this as it has been complied in a different compiler.

1. Press Windows Key + R and then type msconfig
2. In the system configuration window click the boot tab and then select the 'Safe Boot' tick box.
3. Click ok and windows will ask you to reset, click ok/yes.
4. When windows restarts install M800 ECU Manager, it should now work fine.
5. Once installed, repeat steps 1-3 but untick safe boot.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Re: Windows 10 and Mx00 EMP installs

Postby larryz on Sat Mar 11, 2023 5:50 am

Hi,
I'm still having issues with it. It was working on my laptop for about a year then it just stopped working.
Any ideas?
regards
Laurence
larryz

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:37 am

Hi,

There have been some Windows Updates of late that have affected the operation a number of MoTeC installers, mostly the current Dash and M1 software. I haven't had an issue of late with the EMP's. The only suggestion that I have for this is to reinstall the EMP as this will restore the required settings for the EMP to communicate within Windows.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Crimsondynamo on Thu Jul 27, 2023 9:49 pm

Hi, my laptop won't run the M800 ECU Manager software. It worked fine last November (2022) and for 7 years prior to that but now won't load. I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling while running in Safe Boot mode as suggested above, but it still won't load. I'm running Windows 10, as I was in November 2022. Please help.
Regards
Mike.
Crimsondynamo

Postby Stephen Dean on Mon Jul 31, 2023 11:10 am

Hi Mike,

It appears that there have been some Windows Updates that are breaking programs that use the old Intellishield installer that the Mx00 EMP uses. We haven't been able to replicate this issue here as non of the test boxes have had this issue occur. We are not able to rewrite the EMP to use the new installers either.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Crimsondynamo on Tue Aug 08, 2023 7:47 pm

Steve, are you saying your test boxes (I think this is a term you use to describe a laptop or PC) use a different version of Windows 10 and that is why you can't replicate the problem? Would it be worth installing Windows 11 or rolling back to an old version of Windows 10? If Motec (now Bosch) has no plan to rewrite the EMP to use the new installers, are you saying that M800 owners are destined to have to maintain an old laptop with an old version of Windows with which to use their Mx00?
Regards,
Mike.
Crimsondynamo

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Aug 09, 2023 10:15 am

Hi Mike,

The test boxes use retail versions of Windows 8, 10 and 11, just with the debug functionality enabled, so they replicate what the end user will be using. I have only heard of this issue occurring on Lenovo Laptop at this stage, so I am not sure if there is a difference in the OEM Windows installation that Lenovo does with their builds that works differently. We do not have a Lenovo laptop here that we can used for testing. I have been able to install the EMP's on HP, Windows Surface and Dell laptops running Windows 10 and 11 without issue in recent weeks.

As far as rewriting the code, the Mx00 platform is now obsolete, and the only way that the the EMP's can be updated is to rewrite all of the code in a new EMP as the old programs were written using development tools that are no longer supported by Microsoft, so they are not able to be activated. We are still looking into this issue, but without being able to replicate it, it is difficult to workout what the issues is that is causing it.
Stephen Dean
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby Crimsondynamo on Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:20 pm

Steve, incidentally, my laptop is a HP with an 8th Generation processor. I've just updated to Windows 11 and the EMP now works fine. Spread the word!
Regards
Mike.
Crimsondynamo

Postby Sean on Fri Jan 12, 2024 4:51 pm

For those of you in the future having this problem, the solution for me on a HP Win 10 laptop was to disable Data Execution Protection for specifically the WinEMP executable. Instructions below, copied from the Microsoft tech support forum that helped me. This also worked for M84 ecu manager.

4. Disable Data Execution Protection (DEP):

DEP is a Windows security feature that sometimes interferes with the execution of legitimate software. You can try to disable DEP for Motec ECU Manager by following the steps below:

a. Open the Start menu and search for "SystemPropertiesAdvanced.exe".

b. Open the System Properties window and go to the Advanced tab.

c. Click the "Settings" button under the "Performance" section.

d. In the "Performance Options" window, go to the "Prevent Data Execution" tab.

e. Select the "Turn on DEP for all programmes and services except those I select" option.

f. Click the Add button and browse for the WinEMP.exe file. Add it to the list.

g. Click Apply, then click OK to save the changes. Restart your computer and try to run the software again.
Sean

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs