How thick do trigger wheels REALLY have to be?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

How thick do trigger wheels REALLY have to be?

Postby Chris Wilson on Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:11 am

I see lots of OE crank trigger discs only 3 mm or so thick, yet the Motec sensor info suggests 6 mm minimum thickness, with a broad tooth profile to boot. How come the OE set ups seem to work flawlessly with much thinner (and therefore lighter, with less inertia) discs? i have made mine, on an RB26 Nissan engine, to match Motec's criteria, but having just stripped my Toyota 4A-GE Formula Atlantic motor to find a less than 3 mm thick crank trigger disc running Electromotive ignition only management seemingly perfectly at up to 10,000 RPM, I don't quite understand this advice for very thick wheels? The teeth are also very short, with a "length", peripherally of less than 3 mm, too, it being a 60 - 2 wheel.

Thanks.
Chris Wilson

Re: How thick do trigger wheels REALLY have to be?

Postby SprinterTRD on Wed Feb 11, 2009 8:18 am

Generally chopper disks are matched to the sensor. Some sensors have small 3mm sensing area so a smaller tooth profile can be used. Other sensors have a 6mm sensing area so a larger tooth profile needs to be used.

MoTeC sells 6mm sensors which is why they reccomend the larger tooth profile.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Re: How thick do trigger wheels REALLY have to be?

Postby Chris Wilson on Wed Feb 11, 2009 9:40 am

Right, thanks for that, I see that the Formula Atlantic engine, with a very thin disc has a very slim (pencil thickness overall diameter) sensor. Toyota Supra MKIV's have a thin trigger wheel, too, but a very chubby sensor, but I think you can see a "pole piece" area on their face that's a pretty small diameter. It becomes very logical now, thanks for that :)

Is there not a desire to run a thin disc to reduce inertia though, particularly in the bigger diameters, on race type engines?
Chris Wilson

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs