New laptop PC help

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

New laptop PC help

Postby godzilla on Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:45 am

im about to pruchase a new laptop. xp or vista? dell or hp?
any sugestion would be helpfull. thanks
98 240sx 25.1 240sx | VQ35DETT 2000hp | Twin Garrett GT47R | G-force GF2000 | Motec M800/SDL/E888/PDM 16/SLM |
godzilla

Re: New laptop PC help

Postby Daniel on Sun Jul 13, 2008 9:18 am

Hi
Well i bought a new hp with vista and it didnt work because there was not the memory in dos.It would load then when you went to open it wouldnt open into a full page.
So we dual booted the computer with xp and now works fine but the graph text will not show what its ment to and is all over the place.
Remember this is only when running the dos program.

Daniel
Danic Performance
Daniel

Postby Apex Speed Tech on Sun Jul 13, 2008 10:05 am

At Apex Speed Technology, we use the Dell Latitude D600 series with Windows XP. Between our 6-people, we have 4 of these, a Dell Vostro, an HP and a Compaq. Our laptops work in the field doing engine tuning and data acquisition, so they need to be reasonable compact, durable, lightweight and easy to work with. The D630 has the best battery life, a built-in serial port and the best customer support of the lot.

I've heard the Lonovo's are great, but the value of the Dells is unbeatable. With a 160MB hard drive, the "throw it in the sea and fish it out" warranty, 2GB RAM and a great screen, it was more than $1000US cheaper than other bands. Finally, for people in the US they have a business lease deal with makes it easy to provide equipment to your whole staff without huge capitol expenditures.

-Neel
Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
Los Angeles, CA 90064
www.apexspeedtech.com
Apex Speed Tech

Postby figgie on Tue Jul 15, 2008 2:33 am

Dell laptops are the way to go now a days.

I used to recommend the Toshiba Tecra line of laptops but they are quite spendy for the same thing the Dells do.
figgie

Postby Pascal on Tue Jul 15, 2008 5:05 pm

At Art of Speed Racing Technology Turbo Extra Performance, i use Toshiba Satellite. 3 times fall down, once from the roof of accelerating car, 2 times from the hands of uncapable Pascal. Now it does not work!! (I wonder why .... :roll: ) Just kidding, still working and i find it very good choice. Plastic get cracked a bit but it is normal after fall's like that. What is really nice is life time of the battery, 1 hrs and spare battery charger is available!!!! Not need to have lap top. That gives possibility to charge other battery while working! Also another advice, DONT use for NOTHING Vista yet. Few big bugs and few other things was been find out few week's a go. Mine IT guy says, "run while you can and save your PC!" and i trust him.
About DELL, not bad choice to. My guy did buy it. Pritty good tool also.

Have fun while chosing!

Pascal
Pascal

Postby MarkMc on Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:06 am

Hello,
My advice for people buying laptops, especially when using the earlier DOS software is to try and find a computer supplier that will let you try the software on a particular laptop.

What we have found in the past with both XP and VIsta is it can really depend on the actual laptop it self and not just the version of WIndows. A common problem reported by customers with XP (before Vista was available) was that their M4 or M48 tuning graphs were not readable, this was to do with the hardware and not the software. We have both XP and Vista laptops and desktops that run all of our software faultlessly.

Find a helpful laptop sales man/woman and take a MoTeC disc with you, it is the only way to be sure.
MarkMc

Postby godzilla on Tue Jul 29, 2008 2:36 am

will a mac work with windows xp installed?
98 240sx 25.1 240sx | VQ35DETT 2000hp | Twin Garrett GT47R | G-force GF2000 | Motec M800/SDL/E888/PDM 16/SLM |
godzilla

Postby figgie on Tue Jul 29, 2008 3:42 am

godzilla wrote:will a mac work with windows xp installed?

Trying to decipher your question.

The closest thing I can decode is

" Will a MAC work with virtual XP install". The OS should be able to. Using the likes of Parallel or Virtual PC 2007.
figgie

Postby Apex Speed Tech on Thu Jul 31, 2008 5:15 am

I've run ECU Manager 3.41 and ADL2 Dash Manager on a Macbook running Windows XP with no problems.
Neel Vasavada
Apex Speed Technology
2931 S. Sepulveda Blvd Suite F
Los Angeles, CA 90064
www.apexspeedtech.com
Apex Speed Tech

Postby motecnate on Fri Aug 01, 2008 3:48 am

I have tested Macs using Paralells and it works great. The only issue that I had was the resolution was not quite up to par. I have not tried using Bootcamp on OSX Leopard yet whether you can change the screen going that route or not.

A great alternative to for a laptop is Panasonic Toughbooks. I have recently purchased a Panasonic CF-T5 which is a great little laptop. it was an item that I scoped out on Overstock.com which was refurbished toughbook from Panasonic.

http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Panasonic-T5-Rugged-Touch-Screen-Laptop-Refurbished/3073550/product.html?

The truth is that it arrived in imaculate condition without a single scratch. It came with XP pro and so far it has been tested to be a great mule for tuners. Light weight (3 lbs) and has a unique hand strap so getting in and out of tight racecar cockpits is virtually no issue. I have tested it using the M4-M48, ADL2, PDM, M800 3.41. No issues so far. The DOS software screen refreshes to fullscreen no probs. I use a USB to serial for the older generation softwares, without any issues.

-Nate
Nathan Tasukon

Technical Support / Technical Sales
Motec Systems USA
motecnate

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs