Extra injector for charge cooling

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Extra injector for charge cooling

Postby oversteer on Fri Sep 16, 2016 7:32 pm

Hello

I M800 on a subaru using 2 injectors per cylinder running methanol, latest set-up is with-out intercooler and i wish to run an extra injector just after the turbo in the pipework to charge cool.

I have set this extra injector up on Aux1 and i'm trying to find the appropriate out-put type to use....

Aux table seems like the most appropriate but the injector control is very basic, ie you don't have frequency control, which i would like to be tied to rpm like a normal injector, i have set an injector up in a test/cleaning machine and played with pulsing it with the Aux1 output, problem is the control window is very small, with a parameter frequency setting of ~100-150Hz the injectors is either off or on.....it will start pulsing at ~19% and be fully open at ~22%, there is very little useful control, setting the frequency lower and the injector is pretty much wide open on any pulse and any higher frequency and it won't even fire until a high %.

Can anyone suggest a way to do this effectively, i wish to have a table based on RPM and boost so i can feed Methanol in this injector to charge cool.

Cheers

Justin
oversteer

Re: Extra injector for charge cooling

Postby stevieturbo on Fri Sep 16, 2016 11:10 pm

When you're already running methanol, is it even necessary ?

If your injectors are staged....perhaps just run this injector or injectors are more of the secondary staged injectors so fuel will always be tied in with main fuel flow ?
stevieturbo

Postby oversteer on Sat Sep 17, 2016 12:31 am

Still in testing/r&d phase....with 160c iat some sort of charge cooling is required....and will = hp

Have run engine on meth previously with an ic, it made 100+hp more through midrange.

Running piggy'd of 2nd inject would work i guess but it would need to be relayed so it doesn't run below ~150 kpa ...and even then flow/sizing control isn't possible via ecu.

I had more of a play with things ... seems a ~30khz setting allows more range....still nothing like being able set ms !
oversteer

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:28 am

oversteer wrote:Still in testing/r&d phase....with 160c iat some sort of charge cooling is required....and will = hp

Have run engine on meth previously with an ic, it made 100+hp more through midrange.

Running piggy'd of 2nd inject would work i guess but it would need to be relayed so it doesn't run below ~150 kpa ...and even then flow/sizing control isn't possible via ecu.

I had more of a play with things ... seems a ~30khz setting allows more range....still nothing like being able set ms !

So you're injectors are not staged ? You just run all injectors all the time ?
stevieturbo

Postby oversteer on Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:47 am

Yes they are staged....slightly, secondary's come in after 120Kpa, its Methanol you need a shit load of if and having the higher up secondaries come on early aides the cooling effect(but only close to the port).

....trying to avoid a lot of testing/power runs on this at 250hp per cylinder, just be nice if i could have proper control of this extra injector to see if its effective or not, with proper control i could get a experiment done quickly. Its lucky i went to the trouble of setting up the injector cleaner so i could see what the injector was doing .... its ugly !
oversteer

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs