Downshift into neutral

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Downshift into neutral

Postby markie_100 on Wed Mar 23, 2016 2:42 am

Hi All,

We are currently running an R6 engine with a Motec M800 ECU.
We have a modified gear selector barrel so that neutral is at the bottom followed by first, second etc.
Gear shifts are performed using a pneumatic actuator driven by auxiliary output functions.
Gear shifts are activated using two buttons wired into digital inputs.
Gear detection is performed using voltages from a gear position sensor.

The problem we are encountering is that the Motec will not shift down into neutral from first. I have not found any way to force this in the documentation. I have read something about a clutch signal being required, however, only in the Speed Lock Out option in Gear Shift Setup, which is currently off.

A simple solution is to just reconfigure the gear voltages so that neutral is read as first, first is read as second etc, however this outputs the incorrect gear to our dash.

Is there any way to force the Motec to downshift into neutral?

Regards
Mark
markie_100

Re: Downshift into neutral

Postby Sean on Thu Mar 24, 2016 10:27 am

markie_100 wrote:A simple solution is to just reconfigure the gear voltages so that neutral is read as first, first is read as second etc, however this outputs the incorrect gear to our dash.

Best I have for you is use this method, then use a maths channel in the dash, so that for instance "gear ecu"-1="gear"
Sean

Postby markie_100 on Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:00 am

Sean wrote:Best I have for you is use this method, then use a maths channel in the dash, so that for instance "gear ecu"-1="gear"

Thanks for the suggestion Sean. Unfortunately the dash doesn't seem to have this capability. We are using an AIM EVO 4 with an M3 display.
markie_100

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Mar 27, 2016 12:52 pm

Why don't you post your config so we can see how you're setup (Gear Voltages, etc).

The Gear Shift Setup Mode F1 help indicates that if using gear voltages, it will prevent downshifting from 1st and upshifting from the top gear -- perhaps it will allow a downshift if the clutch is depressed.

Do you have Gear Ratios configured? According to the Gear Shift Setup F1 help, if you have Gear Voltage and Gear Ratios configured, it will prevent downshifts if it thinks an over-rev will result. Perhaps this is necessary to allow downshifting from 1st.

Or perhaps a workaround as simple as saying you have a clutch switch and configuring an input that is always active might work.

I bet most folks that use the Gear Shift function have a manual lever as well, and use the paddles for up / down, and the manual lever to select neutral when required. Would that work for you?
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby adrian on Tue Mar 29, 2016 12:08 pm

If you have the gear position set up, the ECU will only let you shift into Neutral if you have a clutch switch enabled.
adrian
MoTeC

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs