hot start issues and ground speed limiter

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

hot start issues and ground speed limiter

Postby cra5hdown on Thu Jul 30, 2015 11:51 am

Hi, what would be the best way to tune for hot starting. I'm having problems with hot start and can't seem to get it just right .

Also with ground speed limiting, what would be the best values to use for a 4 cyl motor. I tried many variations but they are all very rough and jerky. I'm am using it for pit limiting at 40mph and throttle about 8-10%

Thanks for any help
cra5hdown

Re: hot start issues and ground speed limiter

Postby Scott@FP on Fri Jul 31, 2015 7:51 am

Assuming its a return fuel system-

Set fuel pump prime for longer period and let the fuel rail fill and purge any vapor before turning the key. Sometimes long crank time hot start issues are 90% vapor lock, leaky pump, leaky regulator related.

How are the Fuel Cranking Comp, Fuel Post Start Comp, and Fuel First Injection tables set up?

If you aren't using First Injection yet, make an axis Air Temp, at low temps like 0C use a higher value, almost nothing from 30C-60C, then ramp up to high values near 100C. This also applies to Engine Temp but not as much enrichment at higher temps. Even if the Air Temp sensor is pre throttle not in plenum it should pick up a hood closed hot soak restart scenario.
Scott@FP

Re: hot start issues and ground speed limiter

Postby cra5hdown on Fri Jul 31, 2015 12:14 pm

Thanks for the reply.

I have the fuel pump prime set for two seconds so I'll set it for a longer duration.

I have the first injection set up only as a single number which is 50. My crank comp is good b/c my cold starts are good. From 50c onward on my comp I have it set at zero. I will try the 3d table for the first injection and see how that works . What values would you suggest at higher air temperatures level

What it does on hot starts it sounds like it will turn over(stumble fire) but doesn't catch. If I hit the throttle at the right moment it catches and fires right up.

Here's another weird one .My ecu and adl battery volts read lower than my battery volts when the bike is running .When running the ecu will read 13-13.5 and the bat will be 14.1. When the bike is off it reads the same as the bat at the ecu power pin. Is this normal that it's lower when running. Thanks for the help .
cra5hdown

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs