Ref\Sync Sensors

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Ref\Sync Sensors

Postby dsc_motorsports on Tue Dec 02, 2008 2:26 am

Hello everyone,
I'm writting to get help on setting up a M400 on a purpose built engine, we are new to the Motec software. Our main problem is a constant error message from the ECU about sensor sync, we have triple check wiring and tried different sensors and we think hardware is OK; we are not sure on the set up being correct as we lack information on how to do it with the triger that is installed on the engine, description as follows:
crank\ ref sensor triger is a four teeth wheel, 90 degrees apart
we have the syncs triger set at 225 BTDC
CRIP is at 270
Tooth ratio 50
sensors are magnetic, set at multi tooth
engine is a 2.0L VW 4 cylinder
Please help

Best regards

Diego
dsc_motorsports

Re: Ref\Sync Sensors

Postby NathanS on Tue Dec 02, 2008 5:33 am

Hello Diego,

If you are using V3+ software can you take a ref/sync capture when cranking the engine, this function can be found on the Utilities menu at the top of the ECU Manager screen and email it to me along with the ECU file that you are using, I can check your setup for you.

Regarding the errors that you are getting, if you open the diagnostic view screen in ECU Manager by pressing 'F3' and then press 'F1' a help screen will appear with explanations of all of the errors, this may help with diagnosing the problems that you are having.

Regards,
Nathan
nskinner@moteceurope.co.uk
NathanS

Postby dsc_motorsports on Tue Dec 02, 2008 7:34 am

Thank you for the prompt reply, find attached file for ECU. We were not able to get a capture of the sensor it shows a flat line when cranking!?
Thanks

Diego
dsc_motorsports

Postby RossB on Tue Dec 02, 2008 8:37 am

If you are seeing a flat line on the Ref/Sync capture when cranking the ECU is not seeing an input from the sensors. Ensure that you press the "Capture Button" while the engine is actually turning over. You can save the capture once you have it.

P.S. There is no file on your post.
RossB

Postby dsc_motorsports on Tue Dec 02, 2008 12:32 pm

Hi,
Your browser does not aloud me to attached the file (sorry) gives this message: The extension is not allowed.
I try renaming it no luck.........
I sent the file from my regular email

Diego
dsc_motorsports

Postby dsc_motorsports on Thu Dec 04, 2008 2:29 pm

Hello Ross,
Success! we got it to start........ but it appears to run excessively rich ( spark plugs fouled out ) also what should I have in the set up for CRIP"? it appears to be off timing. or should I modify the injection table?
Any suggestions are welcome
Best regards

Diego
dsc_motorsports

Postby Dragon on Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:56 pm

How did you decide your original CRIP figure?
In the CRIP screen, set the test advance, say 10 deg at idle, use a timing light to check actaul advance.
Adjust CRIP until the timing light agrees with the Test Advance value.
Do the same at higher rpm, to see if it also agrees. You might want to set the Test Advance higher for this.
Dragon

Postby RossB on Fri Dec 05, 2008 3:25 pm

I have seen your Ref/Sync capture. You need to ensure that you are triggering of a falling edge for both Ref and Sync. If you have your sync tooth occuring at 225 degrees I would expect your CRIP to be around 180 degrees but you need to test this properly using the Test Advance screen.
RossB

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs