Having trouble getting a 3SGE running properly

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Having trouble getting a 3SGE running properly

Postby Billzilla on Sat Aug 09, 2014 6:24 pm

I've got a gen 5 3SGE in a Fraser Clubman that's run quite well before the engine got rebuilt, but not after the rebuild - and removal of the VVT-i gear - we're having trouble getting it to run properly.
After a lot of mucking around today it's a little better for a short while, but then starts to load-up with fuel very badly blowing black smoke, etc, and then just gets worse and worse quite quickly. Pops & bangs through the exhaust as well.
The cam timing is fixed at 102° on the inlet and the exhaust to 106° lobe centres.

We've tried wiring the PLM into the CAN, but the data from it will not show up on either the M400 or the ADL. Today we wired it up directly into the M400, again we cannot get a reading from it.
Attached is the latest engine file.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Attachments
bill fraser 9-8.e35
(72 KiB) Downloaded 876 times
Billzilla

Re: Having trouble getting a 3SGE running properly

Postby Billzilla on Sat Aug 09, 2014 10:21 pm

And FWIW here's a grab of the sync/ref trace stuff.

Edit - forum won't let me add the file sorry.
Here's a screen gab instead.
Attachments
refsync.jpg
refsync.jpg (371.62 KiB) Viewed 19891 times
Billzilla

Postby Scott@FP on Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:46 pm

Obviously need to get the La working.

Ref/Sync Mode 28 notes say to use rising edge, not falling edge, is there a reason to use falling edge on this cam and crank setup?

rev limit is set to 3000 RPM, why?

MAP sensor calibration looks very odd to me, should not have 2 slopes to it.

IJPU is 15 which is high unless you have ~200cc/min OEM injectors. 15 = 15mS injection time at table value of 100, table goes to 400. You lose resolution with higher IJPU values than you need for expected max HP.

Was the engine previously running fine with this calibration except the cam deal?

BTW if you change to rise/rise on the ref/sync you will need to redo the CRiP.
Scott@FP

Postby Billzilla on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:13 pm

Scott@FP wrote:Obviously need to get the La working.

No idea why it's not .... :(

Scott@FP wrote:Ref/Sync Mode 28 notes say to use rising edge, not falling edge, is there a reason to use falling edge on this cam and crank setup?

Looks like something we have to fix then.

Scott@FP wrote:rev limit is set to 3000 RPM, why?

Fresh rebuild, new internals. It's got to be run-in first before revving it hard.

Scott@FP wrote:MAP sensor calibration looks very odd to me, should not have 2 slopes to it.

It only uses the MAP for altitude compensation, an the table there is what's recommended in the Motec handbook that came with the M400.

Scott@FP wrote:IJPU is 15 which is high unless you have ~200cc/min OEM injectors. 15 = 15mS injection time at table value of 100, table goes to 400. You lose resolution with higher IJPU values than you need for expected max HP.

Injectors are the factory Altezza 3SGE ones, they are about 380 cc/min.

Scott@FP wrote:Was the engine previously running fine with this calibration except the cam deal?

Yep.

Scott@FP wrote:BTW if you change to rise/rise on the ref/sync you will need to redo the CRiP.

Righto, ta.
Billzilla

Postby Sean on Sun Aug 10, 2014 5:46 pm

You have now wired the lambda sensor direct to the ECU, or you have wired the PLM direct to the ecu somehow?
As far as I know the PLM can only communicate to the ecu via CAN. The PLM was working before, or is a new addition?

Have you configured the can messages from the PLM?
Sean

Postby Billzilla on Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:54 pm

Sean wrote:You have now wired the lambda sensor direct to the ECU, or you have wired the PLM direct to the ecu somehow?
As far as I know the PLM can only communicate to the ecu via CAN. The PLM was working before, or is a new addition?

Have you configured the can messages from the PLM?

We correctly (as far as we knew) configured the PLM to talk through via CAN, but the M400 would not display any data from it.
The lambda probe is now wired directly into the M400 loom, as per the Motec instructions. Again, it shows no data coming from the probe.

Edit - the only data it has shown is a value of 1.58 and that never changes.
It's either that or no data at all. LA1 refuses to turn on according to the software.
Billzilla

Postby Sean on Sun Aug 10, 2014 7:31 pm

Assuming the ECU is enabled for lambda, or still has some of the initial free lambda left, you will need to define the sensor under ADJUST - SENSOR SETUP - WIDEBAND LAMBDA SETUP Also, I would clear Aux 1 (lambda heater) table axes and make it a single value of 0
Sean

Postby Billzilla on Sun Aug 10, 2014 8:53 pm

Sean wrote:Assuming the ECU is enabled for lambda, or still has some of the initial free lambda left, you will need to define the sensor under ADJUST - SENSOR SETUP - WIDEBAND LAMBDA SETUP Also, I would clear Aux 1 (lambda heater) table axes and make it a single value of 0

I'm not after closed-loop operation, just trying to get the Quick Lambda working so I can sort out the map in the lower revs enough to take it for a drive.
Have a look at the file I uploaded if you like, I'm pretty sure all that stuff is set-up correctly.
Billzilla

Postby Sean on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:32 pm

I did. You have to tell the ecu what the sensor is, what is the calibration etc else you wont get a reading. Have you a log file from the ecu?
Sean

Postby blacksupra on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:56 pm

the ecu is not enabled for lambda.
not sure where you check if the free time is used? should it just show up in the enabled list the same if you purchased the upgrade?
blacksupra

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs