gear detection

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

gear detection

Postby FoxPerformance on Thu May 19, 2011 5:33 pm

m600 on a motorcycle.

it has no gear voltage position sensor so im trying to use the gear prediction method with speed.

dash will only display "9" for current gear position after i entered all the values i felt were right.

question:

I have a rear wheel speed sensor on the bike, it's a pickup on the rear rotor with 4 pulses per rev.

so should i be using a positive number for tailshaft speed cal or a negative number?

currently i have -260 for tail speed cal #..... I did the calculation method for a dunlop slick and the dunlop(195/65-17) has a rolling circumference of 79.5" (2.019 meters).

here's what i have in the cal file:

gear method = 1
tail shaft speed cal = -260
tail shaft speed source= 0
delay time = 30
default gear = 0
down throttle = 20
down shift RPM limit = 0
RPM drop ratio = 0
RPM drop lockout time = 0.00
RPM drop reset = 0

ALso I do have an extra input in the ecu (AT2) that i can easily wire into a neutral switch. the trans has a one position sensor that trips a switch for a neutral light. is there a way to configure the calibration to recognize this as neutral?

thanks
Ben Fox
www.FOXPERFORMANCEENGINES.com
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Re: gear detection

Postby FoxPerformance on Fri May 20, 2011 1:06 pm

so for someone else's future reference:

I did not have the dash enabled for gear detection in the SDL dash manager.

I was trying to read the "gear" channel being sent from the ecu and display it, but for some reason it wouldn't do it.

so i had to disable the gear channel being sent from the m600 and then enable gear detection in the dash editor software and enter in the gear/ratio values in the table.

i think this is the solution, i haven't tested it yet, but it did change the dash value to "0"

will update after riding.

so my question now is, why can't the ecu's gear detection be sent over and displayed on the dash? why does the dash have to do the calculation?
Ben Fox
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Postby AlanB on Fri May 20, 2011 10:34 pm

Hello Ben

I would use this setup:

1. Enter the gear ratios. You should enter Primary x Gear for each of the gear ratios (so around 5.00 for 1st going to around 2.50 for 6th) and rear sprocket/front sprocket for the Diff Gear Ratio (so 3.00 for 15-45).

2. Set the Tailshaft Speed Cal to 4.0 as per your rear wheel speed trigger.

3. Set the Tailshaft Speed Source to the appropriate input for your rear wheel speed.

The fact that the gear is not displaying in the dash is either because you aren't actually calculating it correctly in the ECU or because you haven't set the CAN comms up correctly. The first thing is to get it working in the ECU then sort out the CAN comms if necessary.
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby FoxPerformance on Fri May 20, 2011 11:43 pm

ahhhh, right... ok thanks very much, that makes more sense now about the ratios and account for the primary reduction in them. I was told to add the primary reduction into the diff ratio.

i was sending the gear channel over on the coms, and in the ecu editor monitor it would show the gear as the default gear i had set as 0, but on the dash displaying a 9. still not sure why the dash wasn't getting the gear channel properly.

trying more today.
Ben Fox
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Postby AlanB on Sat May 21, 2011 1:29 am

Ben, if you email your setup (dash and ECU) files to support@moteceurope.co.uk then I'll have a look at them for you.

Regards, Alan
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby FoxPerformance on Mon May 23, 2011 12:45 pm

alan, thanks... I set up the ratio's in the dash manager by looking at previous logs and figuring out speeds/rpm ratio's by looking at areas on the track where i knew what gear i was in, and it generated a gear channel worked excellant. displayed the proper gear number and logged it properly.

I disabled the gear channel being sent from the ecu. am still unsure if it was working or not because the calc was being done by the dash.

also the TC works amazingly well, the settings you suggested in the other thread were a very good starting point. a little heavy but definately on the safe side.

thanks
Ben Fox
(719)570-9595
FoxPerformance

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs