Ignition interfereance issues

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Ignition interfereance issues

Postby PROTOTYPE on Wed Apr 20, 2011 4:19 am

Hi all,

I'm having some problems with the ignition set up on my track car, its a 1992 Subaru Legacy RS Turbo with a 2.2L Cosworth Stroker Motor and assorted other goodies.

The problem i'm having is I have changed my ignition setup to run LS2 Chev coils to get a stronger spark and am getting big misfire's. I have an M800 Gold Box and there are no ref/sync errors and the CRIP is fine. I have used the recommended settings for dwell from MoTeC support and have tried going from well lower to well higher dwell with no change in result.

I have been told it could be related to the type of ignition leads I'm using as some leads suffer interference when run on MoTeC and other ecu's. I am using Spiral Wound Ignition leads, made to length by a local manufacturer here in Perth, WA.

I have been told that I may need to run basic straight (non-spiral) leads or look for a shielded type lead???

Has anyone ran into these issues previously and if so how was it resolved?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I have a circuit event coming up soon and need to sort it out!

Cheers,

Rob
PROTOTYPE
PROTOTYPE

Re: Ignition interfereance issues

Postby otto69 on Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:59 pm

Sorry, don't have any hands on experience yet.
But was reading the M800 manual and found this, it may help ??
Attachments
m800 leads.doc
(44 KiB) Downloaded 854 times
otto69

Re: Ignition interfereance issues

Postby stevieturbo on Fri Apr 22, 2011 9:54 am

PROTOTYPE wrote:Hi all,

I'm having some problems with the ignition set up on my track car, its a 1992 Subaru Legacy RS Turbo with a 2.2L Cosworth Stroker Motor and assorted other goodies.

The problem i'm having is I have changed my ignition setup to run LS2 Chev coils to get a stronger spark and am getting big misfire's. I have an M800 Gold Box and there are no ref/sync errors and the CRIP is fine. I have used the recommended settings for dwell from MoTeC support and have tried going from well lower to well higher dwell with no change in result.

I have been told it could be related to the type of ignition leads I'm using as some leads suffer interference when run on MoTeC and other ecu's. I am using Spiral Wound Ignition leads, made to length by a local manufacturer here in Perth, WA.

I have been told that I may need to run basic straight (non-spiral) leads or look for a shielded type lead???

Has anyone ran into these issues previously and if so how was it resolved?

Any info would be greatly appreciated, as I have a circuit event coming up soon and need to sort it out!

Cheers,

Rob
PROTOTYPE

Unless you have some low voltage wiring in very close proximity to the HT leads, I'd say there is little chance that's the problem.

Plus there are no ref/sync errors showing ?

What plug gap are you using ? And has the engine been tuned and run correctly everywhere else ? At what sort of boost pressure is this happening ? And what dwell are you using ?
stevieturbo

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs