GPS with M800

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

GPS with M800

Postby insomnia on Wed Jan 19, 2011 3:09 am

Can you explain me step by step how to mount a GPS G1 on a M800 and you to config the right setup.
I only use a M800, on a motorcycle. Speed ,track drawing, lap time, etc....what's avaible or not?
Thank you for all infos.
Francois
insomnia

Re: GPS with M800

Postby MarkMc on Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:38 pm

Hello,
You need to use a GPS that has the RMC and GGA NMEA data messages like the Garmin units we sell. The baud rate should be 19200.

Connect the transmit wire from the GPS to the recieve wire on the M800 (pin B18). You will also obviously need power and ground for the GPS unit, these should be supplied from the M800.

Go into the M800 Communications set up and the RS232 Telemetry Setup. Set the baud rate to 19201 and the Telemetry Data set to 0.

The M800 will now recieve the GPS channels for Latitude, Longitude, Speed, Number of Satelites, Altitude. You will then be able to log these parameters. The Latitude and Longitude are logged as four channels (half of each channel) and these are re-combined in I2. You track mapping in I2 will work fine and you can insert beacons based on GPS position in I2 as well. No live lap timing is done.
MarkMc

Postby insomnia on Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:08 pm

Thank you Mark for your answer.
I order the GPS now. If i understand i can see the lap time in I2 but no possible to transmit in the CAN Bus?
With an other bike we mount a GPS and a display from AIM (MXL) and they have a software named GPS manager and you can select the different sectors on the track, and you see live lap timing. Can i use a BR2 wired in the M800
and send the live lap time with CAN Bus in the MXL Display?
Cheers
Francois
insomnia

Postby Holmz on Fri Jan 21, 2011 5:25 pm

insomnia wrote:Thank you Mark for your answer.
I order the GPS now. If i understand i can see the lap time in I2 but no possible to transmit in the CAN Bus?
With an other bike we mount a GPS and a display from AIM (MXL) and they have a software named GPS manager and you can select the different sectors on the track, and you see live lap timing. Can i use a BR2 wired in the M800
and send the live lap time with CAN Bus in the MXL Display?
Cheers
Francois

They (MoTeC) have another unit that they sell that does 10 and 20Hz. The US version has a machined Al housing.
This can go into an STC (Serial to CAN) and then it gets to the ECU or datalogger on CAN.
This 10/20 Hz unit is more expensive, but the one I went with...

You may need them (MoTeC) to set the CAN address of the STC so that the AIM has it coming in at the right place, or set the AIM to expect the GPS data from the STC.
Holmz

Postby insomnia on Sat Jan 22, 2011 7:47 am

Thanks Holmz,
I try to make the right choice for the hardware we need. I try to jump between MoTeC and a factory Kit ECU and for sure this give us a lot of issues with MoTeC, no live timing for the rider, no gps speed, and very bad not all the laps with lap timing but only one big lap :-) If i need to use BR2 for MoTeC and an other systeme for the AIM dash it's very difficult to work in a short training session...To much wire to much solution to much software and to much issues....
insomnia

Postby Holmz on Sat Jan 22, 2011 8:23 am

insomnia wrote:Thanks Holmz,
I try to make the right choice for the hardware we need. I try to jump between MoTeC and a factory Kit ECU and for sure this give us a lot of issues with MoTeC, no live timing for the rider, no gps speed, and very bad not all the laps with lap timing but only one big lap :-) If i need to use BR2 for MoTeC and an other systeme for the AIM dash it's very difficult to work in a short training session...To much wire to much solution to much software and to much issues....

I do not understand what a BR2 is - but the GPS sprays out the data and that can go to to ECU or elsewhere.
You could split the GPS at the RS232, or if it is all being read on CAN, then it can go everywhere from the start as CAN.
So if the ECU and BR need CAN then you just have to make sure that the CAN address is OK for both.

For seeing what was being done on a track after the fact - I can see how GPS might help.
But how does speed and GPS help the rider - while he is riding?
Why does the ECU need GPS?
Holmz

Postby MarkMc on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:44 pm

Hang on guys, just to clarify a couple of things.

The GPS should only be used at 19200 baud rate into the ECU which makes 10Hz and 20Hz not so great. The calculations for GPS are pretty hungry for CPU usage so we don't really allow the faster ones in the ECU, it is after all trying to run the engine.

Realistically the GPS is a nice feature requested by our top level touring car category and is not fully implemented in the ECU like it is our Dash/Loggers. It's only intended as a data logging tool, not a live feature for lap timing.

The STC can convert RS232 to CAN in the Dash/Loggers only, NOT the ECU.

The ECU cannot calculate live lap times, it is all done in I2.....again it is running the engine but does have some nice extras....the full, live functionality for lap timing is done in the Dash/Loggers.

GPS Lat and Long are each divided into two 16 bit channels (four channels in total) that I2 can recombine, I would doubt the MXL could do it if they were sent via CAN from the ECU.

If you have the GPS you can do the lap timing in I2, a BR2 will still not give you live laptiming without one of our Dash/Loggers.
MarkMc

Postby Mazi on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:09 am

Mark

Is there any way to send slow 1PPS GPS data to M800 ECU via CAN just for proximately position logging? My RS232 port is already used by MDC.
Mazi

Postby Holmz on Wed Jan 26, 2011 6:40 am

Mazi wrote:Mark

Is there any way to send slow 1PPS GPS data to M800 ECU via CAN just for proximately position logging? My RS232 port is already used by MDC.

<Admission that I am not a bike racer>

But I am still stuck as to why a rider need GPS speed or lap time on a track?
An oil pressure light, RPM or shift light, and temp I get...
But how does one take speed or lap time and make them go to faster laps?

You really need to know what gives fast laps, or what takes away from fast laps to affect the lap speed.
Just wanting to go faster rarely produces meaningful results without a plan for how.

But I am interested in how it is used - especially if I have missed dome fundamental.
Holmz

Postby IDP on Wed Jan 26, 2011 8:16 am

Track position or Lap distance are commonly used for varied traction control or engine braking settings in Superbikes.
IDP

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs