Zero Sensors??

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Zero Sensors??

Postby Brinkley on Fri Dec 24, 2010 11:44 am

Hello,

First let me say thank you for the webinars, I have not logged on to a live meeting but have watched all of the presentations from archives.

I do not know if this is an ECU or i2 questions but here it goes. I have a M800 and SDL using i2 Standard. I am running a "fly by wire" '04 Porsche 996 motor so the throttle body is controlled via computer NOT throttle cable. I have noticed during recent races that the throttle position is being logged at 97-98% when I believe it should be 100% (straight away). In past races at the same track I have shown consistent 100% throttle positions on i2.

When I am in ECU Manager there is a "Zero Sensors" icon, what does this button do? and if I hit it will it re-zero my throttle sensor so that I might get to the 100% when the peddle is on the floor?

Thanks for any advice you can provide.
Brinkley

Re: Zero Sensors??

Postby DarrenR on Thu Jan 06, 2011 9:03 am

Thanks, I hope you found them informative!

With Drive By Wire there could be a few reasons why 100% throttle is not reached. Most likely the pedal is also not going to 100% either. Is it possible the ECU has been configured this way, and changes made?
It is not likely to be a problem with the SDL or i2.

There is no 'Zero Sensors' button in ECU manager, there is a Sensor Zero menu item, but the sub menu shows which sensors this is used for. There is a Zero Sensors button in SDL manager, do you perhaps mean this?? This is for zeroing sensors directly wired to the SDL.

In ECU manager on the view sensors page under main sensors, you will find the values for TP and TP2. These are the two signals from the dual throttle position sensor. With the engine stopped, ignition on, press the pedal and check that these values always read within +/-2% of each other at all throttle positions. Depending on the configuration, the range of movement may be limited, but should go from 5% to 95%.

The channels TPD and TPD2 are also on this page, they are the two signals from the throttle pedal. They should also track the same but the range should be from 0 to 100%.
If the TPD channel does not go from 0% to 100%, check for any mechanical problem. If you can't find one you can 'rezero' the pedal.
To do this go to Adjust|Sensor Setup|Throttle Position Hi/Lo.
Do NOT change any of the Throttle Pos settings, only adjust the Driver Throttle.
With your foot off the pedal, highlight the setting Driver Throttle Closed and press enter, then highlight Driver Throttle 2 Closed and press enter.
Now firmly depress the throttle pedal, while holding the pedal highlight Driver Throttle Open and press enter, then highlight Driver Throttle 2 Open and press enter.
The pedal hi/lo positions have now been calibrated and the pedal values TPD and TPD2 should go from 0% to 100%. The throttle should also now go to 100%, but possibly not until the engine is running.

If the pedal is not the problem, you should take your car to your motec dealer and have them check the DBW system as this could indicate a more serious problem.
Generally the throttle calibrations do not change.

Please let me know how you go.
Cheers,
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs