Porsche 996 Variocam+ Ref/sync 2002MY

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Porsche 996 Variocam+ Ref/sync 2002MY

Postby SportsCarRacer on Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi All!

Just wondering if anyone has the ref/sync mode setup params for the 2002MY 3.6 996 engine...it appears from my search that 2002MY non-turbo engines run continously variable vane-type cam phasing units (instead of the 2001 & ealier "two state" Variocam eg: boxster, 996, 968).....this is vindicated when doing a ref/sync capture in the full adv and full retard modes, and seeing around 42deg of cam movement, versus around 25deg for the older Variocam & variocam plus system (pre2002).

I have run it as a BMW 60-2 mode, by ignoring one bank of sync (they are paired up, as the car previously ran a normal variocam 3.4), and it runs and valve lift and cam switches fine, but obviously, full contiously variable VVT of each cam is not possible n this mode (i'm expecting at least to run each sync sesnor into a dig in, for cam control, then using one of the sync signals for actual sync input...thus able to use the exisiting BMW ref/sync mode, with just the addtion of the cam control option, two dig ins for cam position, and two aux outs for cam phasor valve drive).

I have run & tuned it a bit as two state as the owner/ porsche workshop it's for don't really understand the differences between the engine pre & post 2002 (ie: two-stae vs continous variable VVT), but the 42 odd degrees of cam advance when the VVT is energised is about 20 too much to really get any benefit from a two-state operation with the cams timed the way they are (factory)...it's TOO advanced, and power drops, but when left in the default (retard condtion), great for top end, but low/midrange suffers a bit....the lift control has mitigated this somewhat, but still not ideal!! Lift is 3mm at default (solenoid off) and around 10mm solen

I work in OEM engine / ECU development, so have a very good understanding of VVT phasing and VVT control theory & calibration, and have set up a number of VVT engines up on M800's (Mazda, Ford, Subaru quad VVT) ...howeveri just need some Porsche specific tech info...the Aussie Porsche distributor is USELESS for this (and so is the manual!) and the workshop in question works on these things day in day out, but couldn;t tell me where the crank sesnor was!! But the biggest issue is that these type of cars generally don't get modded much in Australia......

I've chewed Mark's ear off at Motec, and he valiantly tried but it was not something they've done as an install so hard for info...

So, please o' wise Porsche/Motec gurus around the world, anyone ever run one of these on M800...and did you have much sucess....not interested in stealling someone else's hard work in a cal, just some info on the VVT system on this engine....the cal is no problem for me...happy to exchange VVT cal theory & ideas...and cals!

Timing is tight....already invested a lot of time in this car after many flase facts from the people who want the job completed...

Thanks in advance for any help.
SportsCarRacer

Re: Porsche 996 Variocam+ Ref/sync 2002MY

Postby Mazi on Tue Apr 27, 2010 8:43 pm

I have some experience with VARIOCAM on both type of engines.
Send me PM with your email.
Mazi

Re: Porsche 996 Variocam+ Ref/sync 2002MY

Postby SportsCarRacer on Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:48 am

thanks Mazi!

PM sent
SportsCarRacer

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs