Ref / Sync Problem's

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Ref / Sync Problem's

Postby -Luke- on Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:36 pm

Hi Sprinter TRD, Throttle high / low has been calibrated, regarding my PC, i'm running windows from my mac for the motec software plus a couple of other bits i use, never had any issues before?

I'm pretty sure fuel pressure is fine as each time i remove the tank i get an eye full of fuel as it squirts across the room.

Mark - I've done the logging as you requested, i hope... Please see attached.

Many Thanks,
Attachments
20111220-0177100.ld
(158.21 KiB) Downloaded 1029 times
-Luke-

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:16 am

-Luke- wrote:I'm pretty sure fuel pressure is fine as each time i remove the tank i get an eye full of fuel as it squirts across the room.

IMHO, this is not a great way to check if furl pressure is what it should be! :lol:

Seriously, what I mean is that maybe your problem is not a ref/sync related.
We know that with a better/higher capacity battery it seems to start, so could it be possible that with more amps your failing fuel pump gives more flow?
I don't know... worth check it? Probably.
Wolf_Tm
Toyota Celica GT-four ST205 - full TTE/WRC hardware
Parma - Italy
http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfTm250
Wolf_Tm250

Postby -Luke- on Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:19 am

Problem solved... If i try jumping it from a vehicle thats running rather than just a big 12V battery on its own, it boost's the power, crank's the engine quicker and smoother and starts every time now.

I had this issue with my last bike where it would only start it by jumping it off a vehicle that was running or with starter a donkey, guess i need to invest in one of these for ease of starting.
-Luke-

Postby IDP on Wed Dec 21, 2011 4:16 am

Good to hear it's running now.

Have fun with it!

They are difficult with the electric starter. Lithium ion type batteries can help. Super B etc. Lighter also.
IDP

Postby Blu302 on Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:38 pm

Charge the battery to around 13.8V to 14.2V. If it holds there after charge(a few hours or overnight) and starts the engine easily, "trick" the alternator to charge the battery higher. I found that by adding a cheap rectifier diode(10A+ capacity) to the sense lead on my 302W, it lifted the system voltage between 0.5-0.8V. Cranks over like crazy now on those cold mornings. Basically it creates a small voltage drop of 0.5-0.8V, so the alternator thinks it is a bit lower and it ups the output to compensate.

Blu302
BMW E46 M52TUB25 w/ cams, headers, exhaust, CAI
Blu302

Postby MarkMc on Thu Dec 22, 2011 8:35 am

If the extra voltage helps I would pretty much gaurantee the ref/sync problem is caused by the inconsistent cranking. To have the tooth ratio so high and still have a problem is a little unusual. You sure your starter motor is ok? Wiring to it? Check for any voltage drop.

A little thing that will probably help you soon is a new ref/sync mode for bike engines where one sync edge happens right at the missing teeth will be in the next release, this would be worth using.
MarkMc

Postby -Luke- on Thu Dec 22, 2011 10:27 am

Thanks for the Info Blu302, that sounds like a good idea....

Hi Mark, yes i spoke to someone already at Motec and he mentioned about the new beta ECU manager software that should help with its new ref/sync mode. Do you know when it will be available?
-Luke-

Postby MarkMc on Thu Dec 22, 2011 2:49 pm

Should be out soon in the new year.
MarkMc

Postby -Luke- on Sun Jan 01, 2012 4:39 am

Just a quick note to say a big thank you and recommendation to John at Track Electronics in Norfolk

I've been having issues with poor running of my bike in the upper rev range of which he solved the main issues for me remotely from emailed logged data, etc....

Bike is now running as it should now, will definitely be taking it to John for final de-bugging and full dyno setup.
-Luke-

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs