Polarity vs Output

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Polarity vs Output

Postby MarkMc on Tue May 05, 2009 10:02 am

Hi C4a0s,
What you need is an output mode of 1 and a polarity of 1. The polarity is voltage high when active and you want to supply 12v from the ECU which means the mode needs to be high side. Switch to battery or to ground is what the ECU does internally and not what you have wired the other end of the relay to.

The ECU outputs have a slight voltage pull-up internally when they are off, this is the voltage you will be measuring at the moment.

I should also mention that only Auxilliary Outputs 1, 2, 5, 6, 7, 8 can do high side driving. And as I said you should always wire up the relays to be switched to ground (permanently attached to ECU 12v when the ECU is on).
MarkMc

Postby C4a0s on Tue May 05, 2009 5:55 pm

Hi Mark,

Now I'm really confused cos apparently Polarity 1 and Output 0 works for my fans.

My relay is permanently connected to ground and i need a 12V to activate it and turn the fans on.
1) on temp is 88deg
2) off temp is 80deg

I spent abt 30mins figuring out the logic and output and it seems...Polarity 1 and Output 1 doesnt work :cry:
Polarity 1 and output 0 works fine instead. How does that come abt? :geek:
C4a0s

Postby Turbocab on Sun Dec 30, 2012 5:19 pm

I have a hard time figuring out the logic behind the Aux Out Polarity and Output parameters for my M400. Lurking on the internet I found this old post. I decided to test the output on all possible combinations, kind of a thruth table and meassure the output. I used the Aux Out number 1 and configured it to Aux Table. The table X axis was configured for RPM's. Table values were 0 below 2500 Rpm and 100 above 2500. No Y axis configured.I used a crank trigguer simulator and a multimiter. The results are shown in the attached table. I'm a bit confused as the Output signal for Pol=0/Out=0 as well as Pol=1/Out=0 does not change from ground no matter the table value was 0 or 100. Is this the way the the output channel is supposed to work?
Attachments
Aux Out Table.jpg
Aux Out Table.jpg (19.38 KiB) Viewed 7142 times
Turbocab

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs