shift counter

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: shift counter

Postby Brad on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:46 am

A simple press the button 1 press the button 2 press the button 3 will suffice.We don't normally get miss shifts so the count going outa sync isn't normally a problem.
We have currently got the dyna box fitted which is highly embarassing at the track as these boxes are 20 years old and its hard to sell a one box does all solution when .........well ....it does not do one of the Worlds most simple tasks.
Brad

Postby SprinterTRD on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:06 am

As I understand, There is no more room in the ECU memory to implement New features with 3.3 software. So its not that MoTeC won't do it and are ignoring your request.

I would think that the new M1 platform will suit your needs and a Pro user will be able to write the code to do the count function and anything else you want.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby IDP on Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:31 am

I guess you're not running an ADL or ADL2?
Would be easy to implement using those.
IDP

Postby ElectronSpeed on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:08 am

Busaman:>yes gearshift is acivated by the horn button to dig input 1 with 70ms kill time.

That means that

ES:>use a timer that counts when the ignition cut is active and use the timer as a boost table axis? If each shift is X amount of time . . .

would work then right?

Every 0.07 sec on the timer is a new gear and a new boost target.?!

Eric Schieb
Electron Speed
ElectronSpeed

Postby busaman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 9:14 am

yes but that is taken care of with an ams1000 boost controller it is hooke to dig1 also but i want to keep it in the motec.

after all why buy the ecu that can do the most complicated functions but falls over at the simplest.
busaman

Postby ElectronSpeed on Wed Jan 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Busaman:>yes but that is taken care of with an ams1000 boost controller

Why use the external boost controller and not Motec's built in one?

Eric Schieb
Electron Speed
ElectronSpeed

Postby busaman on Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:04 pm

because it cant count the shifts propperly and often thinks its in a different gear to what it actually is.
busaman

Postby Brad on Wed Jan 28, 2009 7:28 pm

ElectronSpeed wrote:Busaman:>yes but that is taken care of with an ams1000 boost controller

Why use the external boost controller and not Motec's built in one?

Eric Schieb
Electron Speed

The internal boost controller uses the manifold pressure as an air supply this is not good enough for our application.The AMS1000 uses an external air supply if I want to jump 20 psi I don't want to wait for the boost control circuit to catch up.I have designed a boost control system with Motec that can use an external air supply but it needs more work.On bikes we've switched to the AMS from the Motec boost control system ALL have gone quicker!!If you track the wastegate pressure and manifold pressure you will find that they will not always stay offset by the spring pressure,at 30psi its vertually pound for pound at this point the Motec can't add anymore boost.
This is not the issue, the counter is to be used in other tables and for calcs.We have used the gear position in nitrous systems, application of the power directly after shift is critical to the setup, expecially the clutch,having no power or default settings whilst the system makes its mind up what gear its in, is not of any use at all.
I'm confused how the ecu is at its limit regarding adding this as we now on 3.5 from 3.3 with added functions?
Brad

Postby ElectronSpeed on Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:44 am

Brad and Busaman,

Thanks for expanding my road racing based vision and the info on the slipper clutches, boost control etc.

I went out back and used an ECU to prove that the timer idea will not work (my bad assumption on the timer's functionality). Put simply, "it cant count." Unless I think of some way to make the ECU alone count, I can't help with the counting. Anyone?

I would guess that you are back to fixing the problematic gear position sensor. Why does it read zero sometimes (i.e. is the "Gear Detection" "Threshold Voltage" set too tight or is it a problem with the sensor or the drum or . . .)

have fun (and hold out for the M1, it can count),

Eric Schieb
Electron Speed
ElectronSpeed

Postby Brad on Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:49 am

The current gear position switch is a basic rotary switch device and runs in the engine oil.It suffers bad from vibration and doesn't always make contact with the switch contact.
Brad

PreviousNext

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs