Official request from a mapper to Motec

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Official request from a mapper to Motec

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Fri Mar 29, 2013 12:18 am

Hi,
I don't know how it is in the other parts of the world, but in these last months the request for NEW ecus installation is decreased A LOT, while we have more installations and mapping of "old" Mx00 series ecus.
This said, I think you should REALLY help us making our job and update Mx00 software with the many, mandatory (as all the other brands, same category ecus, have them now) features that mappers requested.
For example it's very odd we can't quickly change selected block during dyno with one button!
If you help mappers, you'll help yourself.
Thank you.
Last edited by Wolf_Tm250 on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolf_Tm
Toyota Celica GT-four ST205 - full TTE/WRC hardware
Parma - Italy
http://www.youtube.com/user/WolfTm250
Wolf_Tm250

Re: Official request from a mapper to Motec

Postby jasaircraft on Sat Mar 30, 2013 7:26 am

Interpolation between selected cells please! +1
jasaircraft

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:01 am

jasaircraft wrote:Interpolation between selected cells please! +1

Definitely!

And if you don't mind, i'd say 3 type of interpolation in the selected block:
1) all block's cells interpolation
2) block's cells interpolation by columns
3) block's cells interpolation by rows

Thanks
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby stevieturbo on Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:24 am

As stated in the other feature request thread...which strangely ended up in the M1 section, despite it being for requests for the Mx00 range.

Simple and easy +/- changes of selected cells as is currently doable with a single cell.

Ghost trace highlighting cells passed through during a pull.

Screen layout lock to prevent accidental grabbing of parts of screen and moving them.

Mind you...I asked for those exact same things years ago.

Also.

Active cell lock. ie, the cursor moves with engine load, and simple +/- changes can be made in real time without even needing to look at the screen

All of the above are features of an ecu I use on Subarus, and they make tuning them so nice to work with. They are also features on other ecu's, and IMO should be basic compulsory features for any ecu.

The current maths function by comparison is awkward and crap, and really lets the Motec down.
stevieturbo

Postby CPL Racing on Sun Mar 31, 2013 10:42 pm

I would definately like to see this also

Simple and easy +/- changes of selected cells as is currently doable with a single cell.
CPL Racing

Postby stevieturbo on Sun Apr 07, 2013 9:10 pm

not a lot of official response so far.

Link, Vipec, Haltech, Alcatek, GEMS, Syvecs and no doubt many other brand ecu's offer most or all of these features.

Surely it isnt that difficult for Motec to offer the same ? Do the officials at Motec never have to do live tuning, or is their world dyno only ?
stevieturbo

Postby SprinterTRD on Mon Apr 08, 2013 9:50 am

Yes, MoTeC Staff do dyno engines Quite a few of them own race cars..... Possibly they know how to get around the software better to get the results....

Interpolation of specific cells is already there, It was even implemented in the dos software some 18 years ago.
Use the tab key to lock the cells that you dont want changed, then you can use the F9 tool menu to interpolate vertical or horizontal option. This will interpolate the cells that are not locked

In the x00 software you can highlite a block of cells by holding the shift key and use the arrow keys to highlight the cells and do mathematical operations on the cells. ie Pressing 10+ will add 10 to all the highlighted cells.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:07 pm

The maths function is a total PITA

Most laptop keyboards have dual function keys, and some of those are for the maths functions you would need.

So if when applying the maths function you make a mistake, it can be a huge mistake. Dropping either to zero or the other way ending up with a huge value.
It really is a stupid way of making changes. Maybe ok on a full size keyboard, but still poor.

Likewise having to lock every cell you dont want to interpolate is also daft. Rather than just working with the ones you have selected.
stevieturbo

Postby Wolf_Tm250 on Mon Apr 08, 2013 8:10 pm

SprinterTRD wrote:In the x00 software you can highlite a block of cells by holding the shift key and use the arrow keys to highlight the cells and do mathematical operations on the cells. ie Pressing 10 will add 10 to all the highlighted cells.

Hi Sprinter,
yes, I think we all pretty know how to do the math of selected cells, but you would agree that on street, but even on dyno, while you're looking after a lot of parameters and listening for knock, it'd be a lot easier and faster to hit ten times "+" key, than to look at the keyboard to write "10+"or whatever...
Maybe I'm wrong as I never programmed a software, but I can't think it would be SO difficult or expensive to make the Mx00 manager way better with most of the mappers' suggestions, even because the Mx00 is not a dead ecu, but still the motec's we will map the most in the next years.
Wolf_Tm
Parma - Italy
Wolf_Tm250

Postby SprinterTRD on Tue Apr 09, 2013 2:37 pm

Wolf_Tm250 wrote:
Hi Sprinter,
yes, I think we all pretty know how to do the math of selected cells, but you would agree that on street, but even on dyno, while you're looking after a lot of parameters and listening for knock, it'd be a lot easier and faster to hit ten times "+" key, than to look at the keyboard to write "10+"or whatever...

I guess we all tune engines differently, I wouldnt be changing a large numbers of sites while you're looking after a lot of parameters and listening for knock!

Stevieturbo, I can see where you can get youself into trouble however I think trying to use a mouse is a PIA when tuning inside a car.
SprinterTRD
Pro User

Next

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs