Honda K20A i-VTEC CAM control

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Honda K20A i-VTEC CAM control

Postby David Ferguson on Thu Mar 03, 2011 11:25 am

I'm wiring up an M400 to a Honda K20A, and am looking for any advice or information about the following:

-- Details on the Honda K20A coil-on-plug -- do they have ignitors built in, or do I need to wire in an ignitor?

-- The i-VTEC has two cam controls -- first is a high/low lift cam control that is activated by a solenoid control. I assume I can control this with an auxiliary output, and base it's activation on a LOAD/RPM table? Any other clues as to how I can add hysteresis so that it activates at one RPM, and deactivates at a lower RPM?

-- The second intake cam control is what I assume the Cam Control option is going to allow me to use. It looks like I connect the Intake Cam Sensor to one of the digital inputs, and assign that the function of "Cam Position (type 1)", then I use an auxillary output for function "Cam Control 1". Then I tune using a table to define the Cam position I want based on my table inputs, and the M400 will try to achieve my target timing on the Cam Position, by varying the output pulse width. Is this correct? Is there any application note or documentation on any of this?

-- Does anyone use the standard Honda Knock Sensor to retard timing at various voltage levels? -- or is this just outside the M400 capabilities?

-- Does anyone have sensor calibration for the stock Honda Temp & MAP sensors?

Thanks in advance for any help.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Re: Honda K20A i-VTEC CAM control

Postby David Ferguson on Sat Mar 05, 2011 12:22 am

Anyone?

I can answer one of my questions -- the knock sensor needs to be attached to something like Motec Standalone Knock Module (SKM) and tuned to be useful. I would need to connect INJ8 to the SKM to provide the window function to look for knock.

I really need help with making sure I wire the two VTEC solenoids so that the M400 can do proper cam control. Any information on this from folks that have done it would be very helpful.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby rickytcf on Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:38 am

Email me with details and see what I can do.
rickytcf@yahoo.com
rickytcf

Postby MarkMc on Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:25 am

Hello,
The K20A is quite an easy engine to do, we have done many. The switched part of the cam control can go to any of the outputs and so can the variable cam control. What car are you using the engine in? There are a couple of variations on the stock wiring for different cars but if you are putting the engine in a different car then you would wire it as a ground switched output.

The output for the switched cam will be set up on a user defined table (function 3) which has a Hysteresis parameter, details are in the help for this function.

The coils have an inbuilt igniter module.

If you send me an email I can send you the calibration for the coils. I will need to part numbers of the stock sensors to see if I have a cal for them.

I have attached a cam control document that will help in setup although if you email me I should have a good base file for a K20A. mark.mccoy@motec.com.au
Attachments
CTN0008 Variable Cam Control _Draft_.pdf
(565.94 KiB) Downloaded 2387 times
MarkMc

Postby David Ferguson on Wed Mar 16, 2011 2:15 pm

Mark -- A very helpful document -- that is exactly the type of info I was looking for. Looks like it would make a great webinar (or 3!)
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Scott@FP on Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:53 am

With continuously variable type systems make sure you have a recirculation diode on the output channel. The OEM solenoids are large, in charge, and can send a large voltage spike into the system at high DC's. From memory Aux1 and Aux2 already have a recirc but 3 and 4 do not.
Scott@FP

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Mar 20, 2011 12:02 am

Just wanted to let folks know that we're up and running. Now onto the dyno to finish up the tuning...
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby stevesingo on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:09 am

Good news.

I don't suppose you have a dwell table for the ignition coils. I'm using these coils on my BMW s14.

Thanks

Steve
stevesingo

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Mar 20, 2011 4:27 am

I assume it's ok to post this since it was sent to me by MoTeC.

Here is the dwell table for the coils:
Attachments
Denso 099700.070xls.xls
(272.5 KiB) Downloaded 2249 times
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby stevesingo on Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:52 am

Perfect.

Thanks