Sync error (Ref/Sync Mode 65)

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Sync error (Ref/Sync Mode 65)

Postby Fast_Moto on Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:14 am

I have been unable to properly synchronize the ref/sync signals on my race bike. I am using a MAP sensor (off cylinder 1) as a sync sensor using Ref/Sync Mode 65. However, upon cranking the engine I get a ref runt and ref low level error (see below). Also, the ref signal exceeds 10Vs on the positive side and is cut off on the ref/sync capture (see below). Any suggestions on what I need to do to fix this?

Ref-Sync Capture

Ref-Sync Capture (complete).jpg
Ref-Sync Capture (complete).jpg (261.64 KiB) Viewed 10462 times

Error Messages
Error Message.jpg
Error Message.jpg (51.81 KiB) Viewed 10465 times
Attachments
Ref-Sync Capture (1 cycle).jpg
Ref-Sync Capture (1 cycle).jpg (188.21 KiB) Viewed 10467 times
Fast_Moto

Re: Sync error (Ref/Sync Mode 65)

Postby NathanS on Mon Nov 01, 2010 2:56 am

It looks like you have wired the Ref sensor incorrectly, if it is actually a magnetic sensor then it should only be connected to one of the sensor 0V pins and the Ref input pin. When the teeth on the crank trigger pass the sensor the voltage should then oscillate above and below 0V.

The ref and sync inputs can take more than 10V, however the signals to the internal electronics are capped at 10V.

Can you tell me what bike you are trying to set this up on as we might have a start file that can help.
NathanS

Postby Fast_Moto on Mon Nov 01, 2010 6:50 am

Nathan:

Thank you for your assistance. It resolved the Ref sensor issue. I am doing the install on a 2010 Aprilia RSV4.
I still see a Ref Runt and Ref Noise Ar error and Ref Low Level error, but they disappear if I reset errors during cranking and only reappear when I stop cranking. Is this a problem?

Finally, after fixing the ref sensor setup, I am getting two new errors and the ref sync signals still won’t sync. These are the Sync Signal and No Sync Signal errors. I am using the MAP sensor off the front right cylinder. It is wired to the Sync input, 5V ENG, and 0V ENG. Any suggestions what the problem might be?

Thanks again.
RSV4 ref-sync capture (fixed ref sensor, 1 cycle).jpg
RSV4 ref-sync capture (fixed ref sensor, 1 cycle).jpg (309.06 KiB) Viewed 10427 times
Fast_Moto

Postby AlanB on Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:46 pm

There has been some work done on the Aprilia with an M800 ECU but I need to check on the actual ref/sync settings. At best I still think there are some starting difficulties based on the detection of the missing teeth.

In the meantime, can you send me a copy of your ref/sync capture and your ECU file so that I can have a look at what you are trying to run? I also need to know which cylinder you have the MAP (or sync) sensor connected to.

Cheers.
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby Fast_Moto on Sat Dec 11, 2010 1:02 am

The bike has been up and running for a little while now and I just wanted to give a quick thanks to the message board and all the people who helped or provided advice:

Paul Masterson
Simon Wagner (Motec)
Chris Adams (Motec)

I don't think I would have been able to get this project done without your help.
Fast_Moto

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs