M880 with DBW4 Setup

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M880 with DBW4 Setup

Postby Fast_Moto on Wed Oct 27, 2010 4:45 pm

I am almost finished with installing the Motec system on my motorcycle, but had a couple of questions regarding the proper set-up of the M880 using a DBW4 to control two DBW throttle bodies. I would appreciate any help you can offer.

1. I am suffering from an “Error EDBW[] CMD Shutdown” for the two DBW throttle bodies. I can tell that the ECU is properly determining the required TP (TP Reqd). In addition, I was able to properly calibrate both throttle bodies using the DBW4 software. Specifically, during calibration of the DBW4, the raw values for each throttle body changed properly depending on its position. However, in addition to the CMD Shutdown error, the M880 diagnostic screen identifies Throttle Position A and B as 102% even though the throttle bodies are closed. Any ideas as to what the problem might be?

2. Are there any application notes for setting up DBW configuration using the DBW4 in conjunction with the M880?

3. I understand that I can configure the outputs of various Motec Devices as inputs to the M880 using the Input PINs Setup tables. Are the outputs of the DBW4 identified in the same manner as the Expander boxes, i.e as “Ex []"?

Thanks.
Fast_Moto

Re: M880 with DBW4 Setup

Postby Fast_Moto on Sat Oct 30, 2010 10:55 am

I thought I'd update everyone with what I discovered. In this case, the issue was with the freeplay in the Bosch ETG I used.

Specifically, the Bosch ETG has roughly 20% freeplay before the spring portion of the throttle begins. I had set the low limit of the rider throttle position to the point of the rotation where the spring engages. In other words, the low limit was set to exclude the freeplay of the throttle. However, as a result a fault occured each time I rolled of the throttle and a certain amount into the freeplay portion of the throttle. To cure the issue I had to set to low limit of the TPD (driver throttle position) at the start of the throttle rotation, which means (unfortunately) that the free-play of the throttle is included.

In addition, for those that are installing a DBW-4 unit, it is important that the DBW-4 is not powered on after the ECU. And, the PWM1 pins for PID1 and 2 correspond to the Motor + inputs and PWM2 pins for PID1 and 2 correspond to the Motor - inputs.
Fast_Moto

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs