Yamaha R7 REF/SYNC

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Yamaha R7 REF/SYNC

Postby JRitsen on Fri Jul 12, 2024 4:19 am

Hello,
I am trying to go through and think about how to set up a Yamaha R7 engine with a MoTec M800 ECU, when viewing in the software for the REF/SYNC setup I am stopped at the sync section of this setup. To my knowledge, and after viewing the engine manual, there is no camshaft position sensor, so I am confused as to how I go about setting up this section in the software. Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.
JRitsen

Re: Yamaha R7 REF/SYNC

Postby Stephen Dean on Fri Jul 12, 2024 10:31 am

Do you know what the tooth pattern is on the crank? If it has missing teeth or an additional tooth it may be possible to run the engine as a two stroke using wasted spark and batch fire injection.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby JRitsen on Fri Jul 12, 2024 1:09 pm

Stephen Dean wrote:Do you know what the tooth pattern is on the crank? If it has missing teeth or an additional tooth it may be possible to run the engine as a two stroke using wasted spark and batch fire injection.
It is a 24 - 2 Teeth crank, would you be able to go into any more detail about the process of running it like a 2 stroke then? Would I encounter any issues later on running it like this?
JRitsen

Postby Sean on Thu Jul 18, 2024 12:31 am

Which R7? The 1999 4 cylinder 750, or the current twin cylinder 700 trolley? If it's the current one, I reckon you'll find the standard ecu is using the map sensor pulse at cranking to define what's what.
Sean

Postby JRitsen on Thu Jul 18, 2024 5:09 am

Sean wrote:Which R7? The 1999 4 cylinder 750, or the current twin cylinder 700 trolley? If it's the current one, I reckon you'll find the standard ecu is using the map sensor pulse at cranking to define what's what.
It would be the newer two cylinder model. I've realized this is what they do for the factory ECU by using the map sensor. Haven't had much time to look at it recently but my plan is to use the setting 65 for ref/sync. Is it possible to wire two map sensors into the m800? one to serve as the sync in the runner and one to serve for tuning purposes in the plenum? It would be a custom intake for fsae
JRitsen

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs