Mag sensor voltage levels

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Mag sensor voltage levels

Postby oversteer on Sun Feb 16, 2020 10:05 am

Ok thanks for giving me a picture of how the mag sensor voltages get worked out.

This engine has all the factors that would contribute to miss-alignment, head and cases skimmed both sides, aftermarket cams and cam wheels and non factory head gaskets.

I have ordered a GT101, but its unlikely to get here in time so next trip to dyno will be with mag sensors, changing edge and voltage off-set should work.

I take it from what you have said stevieturbo that if there is any noise the voltages need to be set up above that ?
I know even at idle the mag voltages are ~7+v, will try do a trigger scope at 6000+rpm to see what voltages and noise are. If we are seeing 10+V and 1v of noise would you go up over 5v or say just over noise at maybe 3v?

I think as much as getting trigger voltages right that's not the main issue here, its the misalignment which happens exactly at the same rpm and in the same way every time, its not a single cylinder misfire etc, its like a gear shift retard fart !, and lowering boost or changing fueling has no affect on it, should all be apples after a fix for that.
oversteer

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:16 am

If you were seeing 1v of noise, then really you'd only need to aim a little higher than that. But at high rpm because voltages are so high, you could easily afford to go much higher.

Alignment of any triggers duel to pulleys no longer being in the OEM positions is a different matter. Cant comment on Motec, but on other ecu's Ive used it's dead easy just to run a custom trigger so the cam teeth can be whatever you want, wherever you want so skimming heads, different block heights, gaskets, whatever is just a non issue.

But always worth ensuring any crank/cam wiring is routed away from any potential sources of noise too, although Subarus are pretty good in that respect as there arent too many sources near that wiring
stevieturbo

Postby stevieturbo on Mon Feb 17, 2020 7:19 am

oversteer wrote:
I think as much as getting trigger voltages right that's not the main issue here, its the misalignment which happens exactly at the same rpm and in the same way every time, its not a single cylinder misfire etc, its like a gear shift retard fart !, and lowering boost or changing fueling has no affect on it, should all be apples after a fix for that.

Many years ago on a car I had a similar issue which didnt seem to make sense. Almost at a specific rpm, it would hit what appeared to be a limiter ( M800 car ).....and despite altering fueling...however without risking pulling too much, it turned out that it was massively rich, and the POS wideband in use on the car was just a POS ( Innovate ).
New wideband, fueling sorted and all the problems went away.
Even at high rpm, scope traces on that car were clean.

Have to say, never have I ever came across a car that behaved in such a manner before, or since, regardless of how much fuel was thrown at it. And it wasnt as if the injectors were even flat out or anything.
stevieturbo

Postby oversteer on Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:57 pm

Miss-fire is solved with sync changed to rise and 1v off-set, didn't change crip.
oversteer

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs