Gearbox control Parameters

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Gearbox control Parameters

Postby Martin on Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:12 am

Hi,

Firstly. Ive set up a downshift-blip in v3.41 and it works fine. On 3.50 it doesnt work, ive checked the settings. Could someone at motec please test and advise?

Secondly, On GB control its possible to active the clutch on a downshift but not an upshift. The reason i would like to ask for the upshift clutch is for use on offroad cars. If exessive wheelspin is noticed the driver would usually upshift to lower the torque deliverd to the rear wheels. The problem is that if the wheels are spinning the driven wheel speed realtive to the ground surface slows quickly to 0...faster than the engine will decrease speed. The result of this is that the torque is never removed from the gearbox even with the IGN cut and that will make shifting difficult. On a pneumatic setup the piston might just get it between gears and not all the way, that inturn forces you to take your chequebook out.

Thanks,
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Re: Gearbox control Parameters

Postby MarkMc on Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:19 am

Hi Martin,
I checked this on 3.4 and then on 3.50L4 release and even on the latest v3.5 Beta and it all seems to work fine. Can you send me your configuration to test?

Are you using the release or one of the Beta versions.

Also, I will enter your clutch on upshift as a feature request.
MarkMc

Postby Martin on Wed Dec 17, 2008 9:10 pm

Thanks Mark.

Im using the 3.50L4 Release version. I downgraded the ECU to 3.4 again to get it to work. I dont have the config with me since im not at work till January but ill make a plan to get to the car and get you the config. Ill email it to you directly

CHeers
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby MarkMc on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:51 am

Ok, will think about it on my holiday. :)

About the only thing that usually causes problems is when people set up a table using the "Y" axis only, this will not work...but then it would not have worked in v3.4 either.

Was it just a straight upgrade for v3.4 to v3.5? No other changes?
MarkMc

Postby Martin on Fri Dec 19, 2008 8:02 pm

Yes, a straight upgrade, and it wouldnt work....only then did i start fiddleing. Ive mailed the guy who runs the car but he didnt reply yet, but ill get it :)

Enjoy your holiday!
Cheers
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby Martin on Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:30 pm

Hi Mark,

Email sent to your motec address

Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby MarkMc on Thu Jan 08, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi Martin,
Waiting to here how my slution went.

For anyone else following the thread here is some information. Becasue there are a few more parameters in the gearbox control the software has changed somewhat. The logic behind the software for gearbox control assumes you have a gear position sensor. If you do not have a gear position sensor or a calculated gear the ECU assumes a gear of zero all the time so will not allow a downchange (logically it thinks you should not change to a gear lower than 0).

The simple fix is to go into the gear detection setup and change the default gear to 2 or above (not 0 or 1).
MarkMc

Postby Martin on Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:53 am

Hi Mark

Sorry i havent tried the fix yet, but im sure it will work. The car is still on 3.4 and i will take it back to 3.5 and try the default gear setting and post the result. For us this is most likely the bussiest time of the season because of all the new cars that are built for the coming season.

Ill try you solution ASAP

Thanks again
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby Martin on Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:17 am

Martin wrote:

Secondly, On GB control its possible to active the clutch on a downshift but not an upshift. The reason i would like to ask for the upshift clutch is for use on offroad cars. If exessive wheelspin is noticed the driver would usually upshift to lower the torque deliverd to the rear wheels. The problem is that if the wheels are spinning the driven wheel speed realtive to the ground surface slows quickly to 0...faster than the engine will decrease speed. The result of this is that the torque is never removed from the gearbox even with the IGN cut and that will make shifting difficult. On a pneumatic setup the piston might just get it between gears and not all the way, that inturn forces you to take your chequebook out.

Thanks,
Martin

Hi Mark,

Any news if this is included in the new software? When will the new software be availeble?

Thanks
Martin
Martin
Pro User

Postby MarkMc on Tue Feb 03, 2009 8:55 am

no news yet sorry.
MarkMc

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs