Lots of errors after doing synchronized with REF and SYNC

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Lots of errors after doing synchronized with REF and SYNC

Postby Eric Choi on Wed May 02, 2018 2:04 am

Hi, I am a formula student team lead want to use 14 zx-6r with M800. I have installed cam shaft sensor with one teeth and a type of sensor is magnetic. REF sensor is magnetic too. Before installing a sync sensor, I have stuck into synchronize but now, I don't know what do I have to start to figure out these error.
Error No REF signal
Error REF noise Ar
Error REF noise Tr
Error sync signal
Error No Sync signal
Error Sync noise Ar
Error Sync noise Tr

and Over Rpm.
Eric Choi

Re: Lots of errors after doing synchronized with REF and SYN

Postby David Ferguson on Wed May 02, 2018 2:54 am

Ideallly you would hook up an oscilloscope to look at the quality of the signals, but you can also use the Utilities->Ref/Sync Capture... feature in the ECU Manager.

When the ECU Manager is connected to the ECU, the errors do not reset unless you do them manually, (View->View Diagnostics... Click the Reset Error button). Sometimes there will be transient error conditions as you first start cranking, so start cranking (or start the engine), then click the reset errors -- now you will know if the errors are the real source of any issues.

The Help button in the View Diagnostics window has a description of each of these errors.

If you get a Ref/Sync Capture you can post the .RSC2 file here and we can perhaps give you some help. Posting your M800 configuration is also helpful. You may just need mag levels set correctly, or proper filtering values.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Eric Choi on Thu May 03, 2018 4:35 pm

Before synchronizing with REF and SYNC, the signals are clear without any noise but, after synchronizing, there are some noise what I have never seen before.
Attachments
After Cranking.jpg
After Cranking.jpg (7.32 MiB) Viewed 9733 times
Before Crankging(ErrorReset).jpg
Before Crankging(ErrorReset).jpg (6.26 MiB) Viewed 9733 times
capture 1.rsc2
(64.45 KiB) Downloaded 790 times
Eric Choi

Postby David Ferguson on Fri May 04, 2018 2:46 am

The screen shots don't tell us much, but the Ref/Sync capture reveals that you have some quite a bit of background signal when you aren't near your trigger tooth. You are going to have to be very careful setting your mag levels for the sync signal (I would use about .3 or .4V for the cranking RPM).

Your engine speed varies quite a bit while cranking (high compression?). It may help if you can supply more voltage to the starter motor to get the engine to crank faster. We have used 24V on some high-compression motorcycle engines.

If you haven't reviewed them, you should look at the three Ref/Sync related webinars found here:

http://motec.com.au/webinars-view/webin ... stallation
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Eric Choi on Fri May 04, 2018 4:08 am

Thanks a lot seriously. I will check again and try to solve this problem.

Is it available to make an engine run with those that errors?
Eric Choi

Postby David Ferguson on Fri May 04, 2018 4:13 am

Well, it can't run synchronously with "No Ref Signal" and "No Sync Signal". The other errors can sometimes be tolerated.

Are you not able to start the engine -- is that the issue?

If so, my suggestion is to remove the spark plugs, and work on the eliminating all ref/sync errors while cranking with no compression (this approximates a running engine). Verify the CrIP value is correct with a timing light if possible in this mode.

Good Luck!
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs