RB26 start help

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: RB26 start help

Postby Scott@FP on Tue Dec 19, 2017 1:09 pm

There is a ref/sync visualization utility that can help a lot. It is within the utility package here-

http://www.motec.com.au/filedownload.php/utils_114.exe?docid=3739
Scott@FP

Postby tarmac terror on Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:01 am

Thanks for that. Had a look at it but see it wants the REF and SYNC sensor offsets in degrees which is a bit of a pain. Will have another look at it soon along with checking CRIP with timing light.

On another subject, I had the car actually running earlier today!! I could actually rev it although it wasn't clean and was clearly not firing on all 6. Thing is though, it will only run and turn over cleanly on ING MODE 2 (multi tooth). When I try and use MODE 5 (one tooth missing twice per cycle), which I believe I SHOULD be using for a 4 stroke running 36-1 setup, the engine struggles to crank and is clicking all over the place...!!?? When I change back to MODE 2 all is good again.

MODE 5 is the correct setting for my application is it Not??

TT
tarmac terror

Postby David Ferguson on Sun Dec 31, 2017 10:11 am

So I have not seen that you have verified the correct CriP setting using the timing light (did you find a second set of hands to help?). You need to do this especially if the engine won't start in the desired mode, but will in another....

Did you try moving the CriP by 360 degrees?
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby tarmac terror on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:52 pm

No David. Unfortunately no second set of hands at the moment. Timing light check is on the list though....

Using the method in the Motec webinar, my CRIP comes out at 71deg BTDC. On cranking nothing special happens....

I added 180deg to this and then tried the car. Amazingly it caught and would actually rev, albeit sounding like 4 or 5 cylinders. Was a truly monumental moment. However, this was using MODE 2, which to my mind is not correct!!!

Something is clearly better than it was before but on settings that seem incorrect going by the Motec documentation....

:? :? :?

TT
tarmac terror

Postby Sean on Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:30 pm

Ok Mr TT, my advice to you at this point, is get your tuner who is experienced with MoTeC involved to sort it out, and explain where the problems are. It might cost you money, but it saves the risk of engine damage. And it saves time as well!

I've been down this road myself when I started with MoTeC, exploded the mufflers off the back of the dyno room due to incorrect ref sync setup.... So we got help, and were up and running in 15 minutes or so!

Clearly mode 5 is the correct mode from what you have told us, so it's very likely it's not actually firing the cylinders in the right order or in the right places. You said yourself it wasn't on all 6. You don't know that it's not firing one of the cylinders at , choosing a number at random, 90 degrees before tdc. The internal combustion engine is amazingly durable, but ill timed ignition can do all sorts of damage even before you get to the dyno.

Anyway that's my 2 pennys worth. And for what it's worth the MoTec documentation can be vague and confusing at times , but it's rarely wrong .
Sean

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs