Ignition coils

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Re: Ignition coils

Postby AdamW on Fri Dec 23, 2016 10:36 am

Sean, I dont believe the IGN-1A has any current limiting function. If you have any specific questions, Lance Nist the designer of that coil (and almost every other good coil to come out of USA) is quite approachable and helpful. You can find his contact details on his website http://panteraefi.com/
He often quotes you want no more than about 40% continuous duty cycle but you can run them up to 88% for short periods (<9sec). No more than 9ms dwell @ 14v.
If you are having any problem with these coils it is usually the spark has blown a hole through the plug boot or is leaking down to the spark plug hex. You need good wires, boots and dielectric grease.
Motorsport Electronics Ltd.
AdamW
Pro User

Postby stevieturbo on Fri Dec 23, 2016 11:37 am

Sean wrote:
Scott@FP wrote: dwell times getting over 70%-80% can do damage to the driver circuits and/or coils, or if they are 'smart' drivers they can start current limiting and you lose spark energy without knowing it.

Scott I have just stumbled across this, and it might explain something. This current limiting, would it apply to the Mercury Marine smart coil? I have seen them referred to as IGN 1A, but then there seems like there's aftermarket stuff called that as well?

Thanks

Many sellers are now re-selling the IGN-1A with their own sticker on it.
stevieturbo

Postby Sean on Fri Dec 23, 2016 12:30 pm

AdamW wrote:Sean, I dont believe the IGN-1A has any current limiting function. If you have any specific questions, Lance Nist the designer of that coil (and almost every other good coil to come out of USA) is quite approachable and helpful. You can find his contact details on his website http://panteraefi.com/
He often quotes you want no more than about 40% continuous duty cycle but you can run them up to 88% for short periods (<9sec). No more than 9ms dwell @ 14v.
If you are having any problem with these coils it is usually the spark has blown a hole through the plug boot or is leaking down to the spark plug hex. You need good wires, boots and dielectric grease.

Thanks Adam, thats good information. I'll get in contact with Mr Nist after christmas.

Happy holidays everyone! Sean.
Sean

Previous

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs