M800 Using Older V2.20 and Upgrading Queries

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

M800 Using Older V2.20 and Upgrading Queries

Postby pioneer_sti on Mon Jun 27, 2016 2:18 am

Hi,

I've been asked to tune a Subaru with a M800, but the ECU is running older firmware (V2.20). The software I have is V3.52P. The car drives very well so I would really like to save a backup of the map prior to upgrading the firmware, and as such I have a few questions?

1. Is the upgrade from V2.20 to V3.52P a seamless upgrade?
2. If not, does anyone have, or can point me to, a list of calibration checks or changes required after the upgrade?
3. Does anyone have a copy of the v2.20 software, or will V2.20F2 (available on MoTEC site) work? I can install this on a secondary laptop just to save the map prior to the firmware upgrade if needed.
4. The system has a parallel port comms cable, which seems to work with the V3.52P software, as the pop up stating the firmware needs to be upgraded came up. I am 99% sure the answer is yes, but would just like to know for sure if the parallel comms cable will work well with V3.52P.
5. As this is an older model, and is working well, are there any major advantages to upgrading the firmware from V2.20 to V3.52P?
6. Can the USB comms cable work with V2.20? (The secondary laptop won't have a parallel port).

Thanks for any help.
pioneer_sti

Re: M800 Using Older V2.20 and Upgrading Queries

Postby AlanB on Mon Jun 27, 2016 8:14 pm

There is no need to upgrade to V3.54E2 as V2.33K3 is still available from the MoTeC website (http://motec.com.au/software/latestreleases/).

If you want to save a copy of the ECU file before upgrading then you will probably need to return the ECU to MoTeC depending on your location (MoTeC Europe would be able to offer this service for you).

UTC support is not offered by V2.2 ECU Manager, this was added in V2.3.

If you want to see what features have been added since V2.2 then you can read the release notes. Open ECU Manager V3.5 and go to Help -> Read me for information dating back to V3.3. You can find further release notes going back to V1.07 by in a file called 'history.rtf' which is located in C/motec/M800-v35.
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby pioneer_sti on Tue Jun 28, 2016 2:50 am

Hi Alan,

Thanks for your reply.

Just a couple more quick questions. Rather than have to send the ECU back, will the V2.20F2 software, listed here ( http://motec.com.au/software/oldreleases/), installed on a laptop with a parallel port, using the parallel port comms cable, be able to connect to the ECU (v2.20) and save the file currently in the ECU. I have both the parallel port comms cable and the USB to CAN comms cable.

I'll have a look at the history.rtf file (don't have that laptop here right now), but do you happen to know if the firmware upgrade from V2.20 to V2.33 is straight forward? I'm not really interested in knowing if support for things like other trigger patterns,or virtual outputs, or the capability of multi dimension mapping, etc. has been added, just whether or not there are any changes that require alteration to parameters or tables for the engine to function correctly with the new firmware. Basically I'm just hoping for a seamless upgrade from V2.20 to V2.33.

Thanks again.
pioneer_sti

Postby AlanB on Tue Jun 28, 2016 3:09 am

Sorry, I didn't realise we were still listing V2.2 on the old releases section of the website. In that case, yes, you can connect with V2.20F2 software using your old style comms lead and retrieve the ECU file.

The upgrade from V2.2 to V2.3 should be pretty straightforward, I'm not aware of any issues.
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby pioneer_sti on Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 am

Very good. Thanks for the information, and the quick replies.
pioneer_sti

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs