20B run map

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

20B run map

Postby FD3SRS on Mon May 12, 2014 10:44 pm

Hi everyone.
I have an M800 with SDL and an OBR PMD.

I have an NA 3 rotor PP with primary and secondary sets of Siemens 640s.
Okada Volvo V70R coil on plug.
FD3S Front cover with stock Series 6 ignition pickups.
3 x 42 mm throttle bodies.
TPS and MAP. (could use either or both)

I have most settings and i think i am close to starting the engine but i'd like to see what some one else has done so i can see if i have anything completely wrong...
I can't put up what i have so far because some (most) of it isn't mine.....

Any help would be much appreciated.

Glen
FD3SRS

Re: 20B run map

Postby Merlin on Tue May 13, 2014 10:42 am

From my understanding ...you will have trouble running the s6 ref and sync ( ign pickups as you call them )

I have attempted to use them and the levels are way to high to get a stable signal for the ecu to read

I am at the moment developing a crank based system .. 36-2 and mag sensors for use on rotary engine
But I want to bench test this to 12000 rpm and test it on one of our race cars before recommending it

John P
Merlin

Postby FD3SRS on Tue May 13, 2014 4:04 pm

Oh, OK.
Thanks for your reply.
That's why I posted here.
I'm fairly confident with the settings i have so far and the 20B ones came from a 20B PP running s6 ref and sync ( ign pickups) And apparently it goes...
But i don't know the car or the guy the settings came from personally so that's one of the reasons I'd like to see what other people are using. There aren't that many setting to check.
I guess if i just ask specific questions about a particular setting i will get more response.
I guess there aren't that many 20B PP out there with people willing to share :) I accept that it costs a lot of money to develop the information.

My Power FC and stock FD ECUs use s6 ref and sync and don't have a problem.
What do you think the issue is? Is it to do with running twice the revs a 13B turbo usually runs?
What do the Motec guys say about it?

If some one has a map they would rather share privately you can email it to me at glen@rx7.net.nz

Glen
FD3SRS

Postby AdamW on Thu May 15, 2014 10:43 am

Merlin wrote:From my understanding ...you will have trouble running the s6 ref and sync ( ign pickups as you call them )
I have attempted to use them and the levels are way to high to get a stable signal for the ecu to read

I cant see any reason why you should not be able to use the stock triggers. The M800 is pretty flexible with the trigger voltages and filtering etc but even if it really was too high you would only need to shim the sensors away from the wheel a little to reduce the voltage.
Can you post a ref/sync capture?
Motorsport Electronics Ltd.
AdamW
Pro User

Postby FD3SRS on Sun May 18, 2014 8:46 pm

All sorted.

Started it today. FANTASTIC! sounds good. I need more mufflers!
A few little leaks to fix then it's off to the dyno at JTune.

How can i add a dial gauge or a chart on the layout that shows A/F instead of Lambda? I can't think in lambda.
I can't see how to do it anywhere else...

I tried to attach a ref/sync capture but i get a message that that type of file can't be attached so I've added a jpg screen shot of it.
Attachments
capture.jpg
20B pp with FD3S front cover and pickups
capture.jpg (363.62 KiB) Viewed 21227 times
FD3SRS

Postby AdamW on Mon May 19, 2014 8:46 pm

Yeah, as suspected I dont see any reason why your stock triggers wont work fine, that capture looks completely usable. A little cross talk on the sync signal but not much amplitude to it.

There is no true way to use AFR in the ECU manager. You can actually scale the sensors to display in AFR but then none of the lambda based functions like "Q" & "L" or closed loop will work. For logging with i2 you could display it as AFR using a math channel, but I suggest you get used to Lambda, especially with N/A engines you really only need learn one or two lambda 'sweet spot' numbers so it shouldnt take long to retrain your brain to think that way. Its probably also more relevant with the modern fuel blends we see today.
Motorsport Electronics Ltd.
AdamW
Pro User

Postby Merlin on Tue May 20, 2014 10:41 pm

Just wait till u try to tune this
Log your rpm at 50 hz

And look at logs from 6500 onwards they will look like a saw tooth with over 800 rpm variation

John P
Merlin

Postby FD3SRS on Tue May 20, 2014 11:02 pm

Oh no, really?
I will be on the dyno soon I'll have a look
FD3SRS

Postby damian on Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:48 pm

I know this is an old thread but I though I would try anyway ;-)

I too have a 20b setup with an m84, it is a full on race car and you can see it here:
https://www.facebook.com/twinvisionstudiosracing

I may have them correct already but I was curious on some of the rotary specific settings others are using, some basic things like what you have setup for ignition settings (I know it depends on your ignition setup) and rotary split, secondary injection percentage, things like that, the rotary specific stuff. Let me know if anyone wants to share any of that, I understand if you don't, and I would not ask for actual fuel/timing maps without some type of compensation, because tuning cost money ;-)

I already have it set to be tuned by Shane T on the 28th, but trying to get it just running/idling and just wanted to verify some rotary settings with other 20b m84/m800 people, and there is not many lol

Some basic details on my setup:
Motor: 20b motor with mazdaspeed drysump setup (basically stock ports, nothing exotic here)
Turbo: GTX4294R (basic setup with 60mm wastegate)
ECU: Motec M84
Injectors: ID725 injector primaries( x3) and ID1000 injector secondaries (x3)
Power: Motec pdu 30
Ignition: IGN-1A coils x 6 (2 for each rotor, leading+trailing)
Fuel pump: Bosh 044

Crank Timing Setup (60-2 wheel on the main pulley):
Ref/Synch Mode: 8 (2 teeth missing once per cycle)
Crank Ref Teeth: 60
Tooth ratio: 50%
Ref Sensor Type: 1 (Hall)

Thanks!!
damian

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs