R6 Supersport Traction Settings - Can anyone advise me?

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

R6 Supersport Traction Settings - Can anyone advise me?

Postby jim996 on Fri Apr 11, 2014 8:44 pm

Hello everyone.

I've just joined the forum as I've just bought a 2010 Yamaha R6 ex-supersport bike. The bike came to me with no settings dialed into the traction control.

I found some information on the forum from AlanB about the basic settings for the traction on the bike and I've put these into the ECU.

I wanted to ask if anyone could advise me on the following. Alan has mentioned that different circumference tyres will need different aim slip and throttle compensation.

I'm planning to use a 190/55 Dunlop on the bike rather than the Pirelli that normally comes in 180/55 or 180/60 sizes. I just wondered if anyone has any experience of how I might need to adjust the settings to compensate for the different tyre size.

Alanb's original comments are written below.

Note that the tyre circumferences and make are important (the file comments give the relevent details) so these settings are only likely to work with Pirelli tyres (using the circumferences provided). If you are using a different tyre type then the aim slip and throttle compensation will need to be adjusted to suit.

Also, the fork position gain (used to adjust the power reduction when pulling a wheelie) is dependant on the exact specification of the forks ie top out springs.

The file also requires a rider trim switch, this can be a multi-position rotary pot (p/n 56100) or push button switches (p/n 79105 used with a dash).

Thanks

Jim
jim996

Re: R6 Supersport Traction Settings - Can anyone advise me?

Postby jim996 on Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:39 am

Oh and can anyone help with setting for the blipper control as well. Thanks!
jim996

Postby AlanB on Mon Apr 14, 2014 7:42 pm

Hello Jim

Regarding the TC settings, it is quite a big topic so not really something which could be adequately covered via this forum (requires i2 data, specific i2 display setups etc). I would recommend you just try the settings you have and see how you get on.

I have attached a (very) basic example file with downshift blip settings. Just integrate them into your current file.

Regards
Attachments
Downshift Blip Example.e35
(72 KiB) Downloaded 944 times
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby jim996 on Tue Apr 15, 2014 11:18 pm

Hi....that's great Alan....thanks a lot!
jim996

Postby jim996 on Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:33 am

Hi Alan

You recently supplied me with some basic settings for the traction control on my Supersport R6 with M800 ECU. I wonder if you wouldn't mind helping me again. You were good enough to supply some basic settings for the traction control but I just had a question on loading them onto the bike.

I'm very new to Motec software and I am getting a feel for it but to be honest I've been very nervous about sending files to the bike from the lap top in case I accidentally deleted the main fuelling map.

My question is can I just send this the stand alone TC file to the ECU on the bike and will it simply combine with the current map? I was nervous of doing this in case I deleted the fuel injection settings on the bike? I was going to enter the settings line by line to avoid the risk of losing the fuel mapping but realised there are many pages of settings to put in.

Thank you for any advice you might offer. I'm off to Aragon this week to set the bike up and if I can just load this map it will save me some time.

Best regards

Jim
jim996

Postby jim996 on Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:22 am

Sorry Alan

Final question. I managed to incorporate both of the maps together with the new traction settings but noticed that the settings you have include TC Gain Comp 1% and it looks like the input is taken from a sensor on the steering damper on the bike. I'm guessing this will account for the steering angle.

My bike does not have a steering damper sensor so will it still be OK for me to use these settings and just to leave that part with a zero setting?

Best regards
jim996

Postby AlanB on Mon Apr 28, 2014 7:36 pm

Hello Jim

You definitely cannot send the TC example file to your bike as there will be many differences which will cause you major problems. You should copy the settings into your current file using the ECU Manager Compare Mode function. Just copy the traction control related items.

Regarding the TC Gain Comp 1, in the file I sent it was against the User 1 channel which was actually fork position. It sounds like you have assigned a different channel to User 1 (steering angle). This table adjusts the severity of the power reduction when wheelying, if you don't have a fork position sensor then just leave it set to 0%.

Hope this helps.
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Postby jim996 on Tue May 06, 2014 5:26 am

Hi Alan

I just wanted to drop you a short note to say thanks for all of your help. I rode the bike on the Aragon circuit in Spain this week and I was blown away by how good it felt. I managed to obtain the original traction control setting as well for the bike but didn't have the time to incorporate the 2 maps together so I used the one you had sent me.

The traction control worked very well and I could feel it cutting in at high lean angles. I was able to adjust it on the move with the trim buttons and it helped me go a lot faster once I gained some trust in the system. It's great to be able to make the bike move around once the tyre wears and the system also helped to significantly reduce the tyre wear.

Throttle blipper also worked well on the bike and allowed me to do clutchless downshifts on the way into corners.

Next steps will be to spend some time studying the original traction settings and possibly to build a map incorporating both of them to smooth the cut out and make it less noticeable.

Thanks again for your help. I'm very impressed with the system and there is no going back once you've ridden a Bike with TC...
jim996

Postby AlanB on Thu May 08, 2014 6:30 pm

Glad to be able to help Jim.

The R6 is a great package and the M800 does a good job of making it work well.

Out of interest, do you have the ECU controlling the intake length? It can do that too.
Alan Bell
MoTeC Europe Ltd
AlanB

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs