Skyline RB26 knock sensors

Discussion and support for MoTeC's previous generation ECUs.

Skyline RB26 knock sensors

Postby Chris Wilson on Thu Oct 16, 2008 7:30 am

Is there any point in wiring up the stock pair of knock sensors to my M800 ECU on a race Nissan RB26 engine? I believe the current software will not allow timing or other parameters to be ALTERED by knock readings, but will only log readings, am I correct? Will the logging work from the stock sensors, or do I need to buy specific ones? is it worth bothering.... :) ?

Thanks, great forum!
Chris Wilson

Re: Skyline RB26 knock sensors

Postby MarkMc on Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:29 am

Hi Chris,
Knock sensors by them selves put out very little voltage and need to be amplified. We are currently working on a knock solution but have to be careful how we release it to the unsuspecting public.

I am not sure it would be that worthwhile to log the raw voltage value from the knock sensor because detonation is more about frequency (many 1000's of cycles per second) rather than overall voltage. You really need a dedicated signal conditioner to make proper use.
MarkMc

Postby Chris Wilson on Thu Oct 16, 2008 6:57 pm

OK, I'll leave this out of the loom for now, thanks. Any opinions on a product called "Knock Box", a standalone knock monitor, which I think hails form Oz, too? More for initial reassurance during and soon after mapping, rather than long term usage. The possibility of using it on other engines appeals.
Chris Wilson

Postby Dragon on Thu Oct 16, 2008 10:06 pm

Better stay away from that OZ product.
It's not very useful.
Motec's SKM is far better. Dealer installation is a must though.
Dragon

Return to M400, M600, M800 and M880 ECUs