M4 Opel c20xe CRIP and REF settings

Discussion and support for MoTeC's earlier generation ECUs

M4 Opel c20xe CRIP and REF settings

Postby Kalns on Wed May 24, 2023 3:55 am

Hello.
I am trying to setup motec m4 on opel c20xe engine, oem ecu is motronic 2.8.
crank has mag sensor with 60-2 wheel and cam (hall) is on exhaust and 1 tooth pointing in the same direction as exhaust lobe, so oposite of cylinder #1
TDC vs ref position should be around 120 degrees, I took out the sensor and counted how many teeth there are from TDC untill REF sensor is reached - 20

I have trouble to sync engine. I can start it, but it wont rev higher than ~2500rpm and there is poor idle.

I have ancient strobe light, without any options to see degrees, only live timing vs mark. While oem ecu was connected, I connected it and noticed that at idle its almost on point with the TDC mark. When I start the car on Motec, its way too early and i can see two marks ~ 10 degrees or more apart from each other.

Sadly I do not have the scope at the moment to diagnose futher, but I am shure that I have wired everything correctly, as I allready tried to swap mag sensor wires around and it was only worse.

Any ideas what I am doing worng are more than welcome.

Settings that "worked" to get it running with sync error

CYLS 4
rFSn 2
SYSn 1
rEF 11
cr T 60
TOr 20-80 worked did not notice any changes
criP 66
ign 1
COIL2

thesame as with these
CYLS 24
rFSn 2
SYSn 1
rEF 14
cr T 60
TOr 20-80 worked did not notice any changes
criP 120
ign 1
COIL2
Kalns

Re: M4 Opel c20xe CRIP and REF settings

Postby David Ferguson on Wed May 24, 2023 4:51 am

You should use your timing light and with IGNITION->Crank Index Position page visible, set the Test Advance to 0 deg, and adjust the Crank Index to get the TDC mark to align when using the light.
David Ferguson
Veracity Racing Data
David Ferguson
Pro User

Postby Kalns on Wed May 24, 2023 7:23 am

Hey David, thanks for input.

And what about the rest of the settings, how can i figure them out ? I think that my issue is with cam sync settings, not so mutch with crank ref settings..
I will try that tomorow and report back with results.
Kalns

Postby Kalns on Thu May 25, 2023 3:44 am

So I tried what you suggested, entered menu - Ignition > crank index position
set test advance to 0 and while engine was running adjusted criP from 120 untill engine stalled at 130 and then from 120 to 115 when it stalled again. no change..
The think that I noticed is, that I see two marks at thesame time when strobe light lights up. both of them are apart visualy 15mm and thesame before TDC mark on the engine block.. I think there is my issue why engine cannot rev past 3k rpm.

Also worth mentioning.
Singe I am using OEM engine loom and only made jumper harness from motec to bosch 55 pin connector, I was not able to feed camshaft sync sensor 8v, it is connected to +12v and I am starting to think, that it might also mess things up here.. am I right or it should not be a problem ?

In general engine runs very poorly, almost no idle, have to open throttle to keep it running ~ 1300rpm and cannot rev past 3000rpm, missfires, like way too early ignition, after that and sounds like valves getting shut by expanding gases.
Kalns

Return to M4 and M48 ECUs (including M2R and MLS variants)