Toyota distributor Ref/Sync query

Discussion and support for MoTeC's earlier generation ECUs

Toyota distributor Ref/Sync query

Postby terryo on Tue Apr 19, 2022 9:55 pm

This refers to a 4AG engine with a factory dissy, where the upper sync wheel has had 3 teeth removed, ie it now only has 1 REF tooth. The lower 24 tooth SYNC wheel remains as factory

Motec drawing T11 for a 24 tooth magnetic Toyota dissy says the Ref/Sync mode should be set to 2 but thats not clear if it applies to a M4 or M4-8 or both

As best i can work out, that means the ref sensor is triggered on rise and the sync on the fall. can someone confirm that because its not clear in the help pop-up info

I have dug out an old tuning file from another Toyota using an identical dissy, and it has a mode value of 14. All help tells me is 14- multi-tooth, but again , no details

any input would be appreciated
terryo

Re: Toyota distributor Ref/Sync query

Postby Stephen Dean on Wed Apr 20, 2022 12:35 pm

Hi,

The setting of 14 will use the falling edges of both sensors on a Multi tooth pattern.

n1 - Both Rising
n2 - Rising Ref, Falling Sync
n3 - Falling Ref, Rising Sync
n4 - Both Falling

The rfSn and SYSn values in the T11 document are for the Sensor types, with 2 being a Mag sensor
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Postby terryo on Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:05 am

thank you SDean, but its still not clear to me

1) are the ref/sync settings in general set up for M4 and M48 same if using the same dissy??

2) which is correct for a Toyota dissy as described (they are all magnetic) ?

3) i'm still missing something. The T11 document gives 2 as ref/sync mode. How do i have a working engine with this setting at 14?

4) the T11 document gives values for the magnetic sync/ref set up. neither my M4 nor M48 seem to have the capability to change this. whats more, a scope of the dissy output gives a >5V signal at 500rpm, not 1V as t11 indicates. Ive tried 3 dissys and got values between 5V and 9V depending how small the pick up gap is
terryo

Postby Stephen Dean on Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:24 am

Hi,

M4 and M4-8 use the same settings.

rfSn and SYSn are the sensor types in use. rEF is the RefSync Mode in the t11 Document for the M4 family of ECU's (Page 1). The Information on Page 2 of the T11 document is for use with Mx00 ECU's only and does not apply to the M4 and M4-8.
Stephen Dean
MoTeC Research Centre Melbourne, Australia
Stephen Dean
Site Admin

Return to M4 and M48 ECUs (including M2R and MLS variants)