DOS Full Screen and Graph on Vista and Win7

Discussion and support for MoTeC's earlier generation ECUs

DOS Full Screen and Graph on Vista and Win7

Postby DarrenR on Thu May 20, 2010 2:05 pm

Anyone that has used M4/M48 software on Vista or Win7 know the DOS full screen and Graph screens do not work. This is because the display drivers stopped supporting DOS full screen and DOS graphics. On a rare occasion a driver will work, or an XP driver may work with Vista/Win7.

The generic windows (Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor) driver also allows DOS full screen and DOS graphic, and while it works perfectly on my Dell XPS running Win7 32bit, i don't know if it will work for all laptops.

This driver is very basic, slow and has no effects like transparency. Also doesn't allow multiple screens so it is not a driver you would prefer to use, but you can switch to this driver and back to your normal one without too many problems. It does require you to reboot and changes your screen resolution that can shift your desktop icons so it is not something i would like to do often, but if i was doing a lot of tuning i would switch for that time and switch back.

To change to the generic driver do the following -
1. Go to the windows Control Panel and select the Device manager.
2. Open the Display Adaptors branch and right click your current display driver.
3. Select 'Update Driver Software', then 'Browse my computer', and then 'Let me pick from a list'.
4. A box should appear with your current driver and the ‘Standard VGA Graphics Adaptor’. Select this driver and press Next.
5. The driver will install, screen will change and your will be prompted to restart your computer.
6. After restarting, run the M4/M48 software. Press Alt+Enter to toggle to full screen, or change the program properties to start in full screen.

Please note the program or your computer could crash, especially when switching to another program. There is no guarantees this will work, use at your own risk!

To change back to your original display driver, follow the steps above except select you original driver from the box in step 4.

If you try this, please reply to this thread and let us know if it has worked for you or any problems you encounter.

Thanks,
Darren Reynolds
MoTeC Research Centre - Melbourne, Australia.
DarrenR
MoTeC

Re: DOS Full Screen and Graph on Vista and Win7

Postby stevieturbo on Sat May 19, 2012 11:12 pm

I'm not that computer savvy.

But a link someone else provided to some software called DOSBox lets me run M48 software just fine, works full screen and the "G" command brings up a full screen graph of the fuel maps etc.

Im on a 64bit W7U

Is that the same issue you're talking about ?
stevieturbo

Postby clarkefarm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:34 am

I have probably missed the forum treatment of DOS full screen for XP but would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to achieve this.
I have a Samsung N150 Plus which only has the Display Adaptor, Intel (R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150. System is Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002 and service pack 3.
The Motec window for my M4 occupies only about a quarter of the already fairly small screen and I do not know how to resolve this issue. Clicking the maximise icon only moves the DOS window to the top left of the screen.
Many thanks.
Rupert Clarke
clarkefarm

Postby AdamW on Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:09 am

clarkefarm wrote:I have probably missed the forum treatment of DOS full screen for XP but would be very grateful if someone could point me in the right direction to achieve this.
I have a Samsung N150 Plus which only has the Display Adaptor, Intel (R) Graphics Media Accelerator 3150. System is Windows XP Home Edition, version 2002 and service pack 3.
The Motec window for my M4 occupies only about a quarter of the already fairly small screen and I do not know how to resolve this issue. Clicking the maximise icon only moves the DOS window to the top left of the screen.
Many thanks.
Rupert Clarke

I'm tempted to say RTFM! as it tells you how to work the software in there, however since it's an easy one: hit "alt+enter" for full screen.
Motorsport Electronics Ltd.
AdamW
Pro User

Postby clarkefarm on Wed Feb 20, 2013 10:59 pm

Thanks for that.
clarkefarm

Postby Flow on Wed Sep 04, 2019 9:06 pm

What I would really like to know is how do a expand the cmd box buffers or window size to allow me to see all sites without having to scroll around? Is this possible? Been digging in manual and the BAT file and tried tweaking the shortcut.. no joy.

Do I need to install a different shell in Win7 32 Pro or am I missing something really obvious?
Flow

Return to M4 and M48 ECUs (including M2R and MLS variants)